Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Where to buy gaskets 502mpi????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/278636-where-buy-gaskets-502mpi.html)

mike tkach 06-14-2012 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by pslonaker (Post 3709820)
Clean all the threads on your head bolts...no sealant and no oil on them. Torque them to 80 pounds feet, but take the 4 short bolts under the exhaust manifold to 85 pounds feet. Again, with clean dry threads on the bolts and in the block. You dont need any sealant because all the holes are blind holes and they do not go into the water jacket.

use arp thread sealant on the head bolts,it is also a thread lubricant,NEVER install any head bolt dry,also i recomend not reuseing the gm head bolts,spend the 80 bucks and buy the good arp bolts.if you listen to pslonaker,failure is iminent.

FIXX 06-14-2012 09:48 PM

fixx

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 3709847)
use arp thread sealant on the head bolts,it is also a thread lubricant,NEVER install any head bolt dry,also i recommend not using the gm head bolts,spend the 80 bucks and buy the good arp bolts.if you listen top slonaker,failure is iminent.

+ 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

like ALWAYS USE SEALER!! i don't care if their blind holes,,the block is made from cast iron,,some blocks have porosity which is a pin hole in the cast which will leak or could leak in the threaded holes..also if you blew a head gasket make sure you check between the cylinders real good and even put a straight edge across it..they have a tendency to burn the casted metal...

mike tkach 06-14-2012 09:48 PM

unless you are going to run more than 7 lbs boost,the felpro marine gasget is the way to go,torque them to 75 lbs in 3 steps,useing arp thread sealant.i have been running 10 lbs boost with the felpro marine gasgets for 3 years now with 0 problems,but i am useing arp head stud kit.i do not recomend more than 7 lbs boost with iorn heads.

mike tkach 06-14-2012 09:54 PM

as mr fixx said,USE THREAD SEALER,another reason is dry threads cause tons of friction while torquing,and you loose clamping power.the last thing you need is bown head gasgets.

FIXX 06-14-2012 10:00 PM

and just dont torque the head bolts just once,,go over all of them 4,5,6,times until they all read the same torque,,same goes with intake bolts..

pslonaker 06-15-2012 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 3709847)
use arp thread sealant on the head bolts,it is also a thread lubricant,NEVER install any head bolt dry,also i recomend not reuseing the gm head bolts,spend the 80 bucks and buy the good arp bolts.if you listen to pslonaker,failure is iminent.

I guess then that since my advice is a failure, then all those guys over at Reher & Morrison where I hang out alot are failures too...since they do like I do or I do like they do...pick one. The Pro Stock motors I have had dealings with all went with dry head bolts...imagine that, but I will let them know that you said because of it...failure is iminent...:blahblah: I am sure that they will want to start doing things differently because of it...especially when they are dealing with a $150,000.00 motor.

FIXX 06-15-2012 01:22 AM

fixx

Originally Posted by pslonaker (Post 3709947)
I guess then that since my advice is a failure, then all those guys over at Reher & Morrison where I hang out alot are failures too...since they do like I do or I do like they do...pick one. The Pro Stock motors I have had dealings with all went with dry head bolts...imagine that, but I will let them know that you said because of it...failure is iminent...:blahblah: I am sure that they will want to start doing things differently because of it...especially when they are dealing with a $150,000.00 motor.

i have been a drag racer just about 30 yrs,,had my hands in prostock,alchol,nytro,nos and procharged engines....the prostock engines you talk about arnt they torn down after so many runs?? and the engines you speak of will have head studs in them which have 10 ft lbs of torque on them..the clamping force comes from the top side nut so i guess when a engine is takin apart after so many rounds it really dont matter what you put on them..

in a marine engine they need to be sealed period...

swan2 06-15-2012 09:33 AM

Ok I need some thread sealer does the local parts house carry anything that I can use I need to get this thread sealer and heads on asap thanks again guys for the help. :coolcowboy:

onesickpantera 06-15-2012 02:02 PM

I bought my head, intake and exhaust gaskets from Jegs. The Fel-Pro 1047 head gaskets are usually about $45 there which is a good price.

As far as the sealer, I've heard different opinions on a 502 block but it can't hurt as it will lubricate. I know I would never torque the bolts dry.

swan2 06-15-2012 04:36 PM

Thanks for the help I did get the thread sealer and I just got all my new gaskets in on Ups about ten min. ago. Im headed to the house and see if I cant get this thing back together. again thanks all you guys for your input ill let you all know how it turns out... :coolcowboy: