Where to buy gaskets 502mpi????? >

Where to buy gaskets 502mpi?????

Notices

Where to buy gaskets 502mpi?????

Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to buy gaskets 502mpi?????

Hi everyone I need gaskets for my 502 mpi wheres the best place to order them from I need them asap thanks guys????
I need Head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, upper exhaust riser gasket, and the upper intake plenium gaskets. Im doing top in refresh and all ready to go just need these things. Oh and the motor is boosted needs good head gaskets.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by swan2
Hi everyone I need gaskets for my 502 mpi wheres the best place to order them from I need them asap thanks guys????
I need Head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, upper exhaust riser gasket, and the upper intake plenium gaskets. Im doing top in refresh and all ready to go just need these things. Oh and the motor is boosted needs good head gaskets.
Order your stuff from either www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com . I usually use Summit because shipping is almost always faster. And yes, they have all kinds of marine stuff.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok thank you. I need the head bolt torque?? The engine is a 1998 502mpi with factory heads and factory mercruiser head bolts. Can anyone tell me the this? I did a search on google but want to make sure. Thanks again guys.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Head bolt Torque and lube???

I need to know the head bolt torque and I also was wondering if the lube/sealant can be bought at the local parts dealer?? all stock rect. heads and stock mer. head bolts thanks for the help.

502mpi 1998 model engine.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swan2

I'm a rookie in the process of assembling a 502 mpi mag w/ 5#procharger. Might be similar to your project ...

Pslonaker's suggestion for Summit & Jegs is certainly valid for head gaskets. I believe I have seen some Fel-Pro marine head gasket on Summit that are 0.039" thick -vs- the thicker Cometics. My understanding is the that by keeping the "squish" lower it will help reduce detonation. As far as the (502 marine) engine gasket kit I haven't found it on Summit or Jeg's, yet. If not available I'll do an internet search and pass on my findings.

I'm curious if you're using the cast iron 502 heads, and if so, have you done any mod's, ie..., springs, rockers, etc... What cam are you running? I'm looking at the slight bump up to the 500 efi cam and in the process of researching what springs, rockers, etc are req'd.

Thanks and happy boating!!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Low Buck

PM sent
Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Swann,

You did not say where you are located but if you have a good local machine shop that does performance work, they should be able to get you all of the gaskets plus they should also be able to tell you the torque specs for not only the heads, but the intake, exhaust etc.

I just got all of those gaskets for a customer a couple of days ago. My prices were actually a slight bit lower than Summit and I got everything the next day. And I have all of the torque specs at my finger tips plus I can print them out along with the torque sequence etc.

Just a thought,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

www.rockauto.com has those head gasket sets from Felpro and great customer service. You probably do not want to use the Dometic gaskets on an engine that has been run (they have to have a certain RA reading on the surfaces or will not seal correctly).
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by swan2
I need to know the head bolt torque and I also was wondering if the lube/sealant can be bought at the local parts dealer?? all stock rect. heads and stock mer. head bolts thanks for the help.

502mpi 1998 model engine.
Clean all the threads on your head bolts...no sealant and no oil on them. Torque them to 80 pounds feet, but take the 4 short bolts under the exhaust manifold to 85 pounds feet. Again, with clean dry threads on the bolts and in the block. You dont need any sealant because all the holes are blind holes and they do not go into the water jacket.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low buck
Swan2

I'm a rookie in the process of assembling a 502 mpi mag w/ 5#procharger. Might be similar to your project ...

Pslonaker's suggestion for Summit & Jegs is certainly valid for head gaskets. I believe I have seen some Fel-Pro marine head gasket on Summit that are 0.039" thick -vs- the thicker Cometics. My understanding is the that by keeping the "squish" lower it will help reduce detonation. As far as the (502 marine) engine gasket kit I haven't found it on Summit or Jeg's, yet. If not available I'll do an internet search and pass on my findings.

I'm curious if you're using the cast iron 502 heads, and if so, have you done any mod's, ie..., springs, rockers, etc... What cam are you running? I'm looking at the slight bump up to the 500 efi cam and in the process of researching what springs, rockers, etc are req'd.

Thanks and happy boating!!
If you are going to be running a pro-charger, then I suggest that you use a "MLS" type of head gasket...either from Cometic or Fel-Pro. Running a thinner head gasket will increase the compression a hair, but usually not enough to worry about. If you need some extra clearance to run a big cam, then a thicker head gasket might be all that you need. Whenever I order stuff from Summit, I almost always have it in 3 days...max. You will also know ahead of time if it is in stock and when it will ship. If you are going to run a pretty ripe cam, then I suggest that you contact Eric at Teague marine and tell him that you need a set of Isky Tool Room springs. They are great springs and you will not break one. Set them up at 1.90". As for cams, you can talk to Eric about them or contact Bob Madera at Kam Kenetics up in New York. he is on OSO as RMBuilder and he will go out of his way to help you. If you need any additional help...PM me anytime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.