My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull

Notices

My Engine Saga any advice would be helpfull

Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You said the lines and such were replaced from the pickup. Was the pickup itself replaced? Every Baja I have ever seen has a small plastic pickup in the tank. It has a square 90* fitting on top. An adapter fitting screws into the square 90* fitting. When the adapter fitting goes in, it ends up blocking half of the already small hole in the pickup. Has the filter head been replaced with a larger one? Is the fuel being returned to the tank? If not, it can/will cause aeration if it is being returned to the inlet side of the pump, especially with a larger pump.

Here is a pic of a fuel pickup that came out of a Baja. Next to it is one that we make to replace the small plastic ones. Does yours look like this? Were ya'll watching the fuel pressure gauge while running hard? I suspect you have a fuel delivery problem.
Eddie
Eddie, Is that a -12 - 1/2 npt or -10 - 3/8 npt?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Eddie, Is that a -12 - 1/2 npt or -10 - 3/8 npt?
That one is 3/8 npt x #10 with the 3/8" side bored out to the same size as the #10. I use a SS fitting since it can safely be bored larger without risk of breaking like an aluminum fitting could.
Eddie
Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by andychb
A little off topic but what was the pitch of the prop and how fast was it turning when you hit 98 mph.....was that on gps ?
5 psi of boost on a 509 or 502 at 700 hp is believable, 98 honest mph with a 245 AND STILL GOING FASTER with that hp, umh, not going to happen BUT, that is neither here nor there. It would take a 32 pitch turning about 6000 to do it, ask me how I know.
Eric, yes, set up right your boat should last you at least 100 hr between rebuilds, probably 3 or 4 times that at 4 psi of boost. Something is definately wrong, afr gauge on the motor in the boat along with a accurate fuel press gage will tell you everything. What size injectors are you using, Smitty