Bravo one to XR advice needed

Notices

Bravo one to XR advice needed

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo one to XR advice needed

So I'm considering changing over to XR drives from the orignal Bravo one's on my 2000 382 Fastech. Can anyone provide me with pro's /con's and what else I need to consider if I do the change over.

Thanks JB
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is just a strength/reliability factor. If you have the $$ to burn why not, do you poker run or run the boat hard alot? That is a big boat so I imagine full throttle is a must to plane it off.....

There is a good shop around here that does an XR conversion on the standard bravo for about half the price of an XR. They do a good bit of business in that respect. Must be worth it if you have some decent power or run hard.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the xr is stronger than the standard b1,if you go with the xr drives,wou will need to change the gimble bearing because the xr u joint is bigger and requires a narrower bearing.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

An XR will bolt right on to a standard Bravo Transom Assembly. There is no difference in the input shaft on the coupler side.

It's easy enough to put the XR parts in your cases but the real crap-shoot is the gears (which is the most expensive part). It's better to use a case with steel tower.

You might get a decent set. You might get a set that wears out in one season... or less..

They are around $1,100 @ cost.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
An XR will bolt right on to a standard Bravo Transom Assembly. There is no difference in the input shaft on the coupler side.

It's easy enough to put the XR parts in your cases but the real crap-shoot is the gears (which is the most expensive part). It's better to use a case with steel tower.

You might get a decent set. You might get a set that wears out in one season... or less..

They are around $1,100 @ cost.
you are wrong,the xr u joint is different,and il take 10 sets of those xr gears at 1100. per set,please tell me where you can get new xr gearsets for that price.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
you are wrong,the xr u joint is different,and il take 10 sets of those xr gears at 1100. per set,please tell me where you can get new xr gearsets for that price.
Mike,

I just got done pulling my spare late 1990's bravo (OM) off my boat and slapped on the new 2012 XR (2A). So I'll post some pictures (if you need me to) and then you can tell me how wrong I am.

This is old news. It's also been beat to death in older threads. And yes, if you have access to dealer cost, those gears are around $1100 - $1200 bucks. They retail for $1600 - $1800.

Prices will vary depending on who you talk to.

Last edited by SDFever; 06-20-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered

If this is retail:

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14499...-gear-set.aspx

What do you think cost might be if I'm misguided? Anyone who knows much at all about retail can figure this out without my help..

Been through many bravo repairs, replacements, new & used but I managed to not learn a dam thing (no offense).

Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

you are wrong,the xr u joint is different
They started out years ago with grease zerks on the crosses. Then they went to a Perma-Lube and shortly after going back to zerks.

Now, today, back to Perma-Lube.

I don't know the year ranges but it can be found.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered

if you want to run your new xr with the old style gimble bearing,go for it,its not worth the risk for a less than 100 dollar part,and id still like to know where i can buy xr gearsets for 1100.00.what dealer is selling them to you for that because i will order 10 sets in the am.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Registered

if you want to run your new xr with the old style gimble bearing,go for it,its not worth the risk for a less than 100 dollar part,and id still like to know where i can buy xr gearsets for 1100.00.what dealer is selling them to you for that because i will order 10 sets in the am.
Mike,

You said it wouldn't work and now you're saying go for it if you want the risk? What risk? It's the exact same shaft diameter.

Send me your money and I'll get you 10 sets of gears. So that comes to 12 thousand dollars and obviously I'll refund any change that is due to you. If you are only saying this to call me out then it's useless.

If you want 10 gearsets, send payment with your address. I won't burn you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.