Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
cutting edge props..is anyone running them? >

cutting edge props..is anyone running them?

Notices

cutting edge props..is anyone running them?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts
Default cutting edge props..is anyone running them?

Is anyone running cutting edges props? Are their 4 blades comparable to the bravo 1?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Greg build me a 30"p 4 blade in a larger diameter, 15 3/8". If you measure any Bravo 1 other than the 36(?), they are all about 14 3/4" diameter, so it was a big step up. You can have them made in a regular Bravo 1 diameter as well (many diameters really).

Initial tests of my prop were good, but not great, however the customer service displayed by CEP (Greg) really helped. He was on the phone with me on a Sunday and I had the prop back in the mail on Monday for him to work on. back in my hands two weeks after I mailed it out (I sent it ground, so that ate 5 days). Sadly, i will not be able to test for another three weeks, but I am certain that we are getting it closer to dialed in.

Being a custom prop, you have to expect a bit of trial and error, and the guys at CEP were more than willing to tune the prop to exactly what I need. I am sure that if this recipe isnt exactly what I need, I will be able to send it back and have it dialed in a little more.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

So what's the fee each time you send it back to be tweaked?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a 26p labbed and polished a while back for a good price.

Pros...Greg is great guy, has a great product and will go the extra mile.

Cons...Sent wrong prop first time (covered return shipping) sent right prop second time but equal performance to my stock Bravo 24p ($20 return ship) Third try equal to my stock 26p ($20 return ship) Had cup added and nailed it.

Moral of story... spent a little extra time shipping back and forth but Greg smiled all the way through it and got me dialed in right. Don't mind spending extra $40 for shipping to get a custom tuned labbed and polished prop one bit.

(gained 4mph cruising and 4mph top end 73-77mph at 5300)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also bought props from CEP and what people are saying above about Greg is 100% truth. He goes WAY out of his way to make you happy and get it right.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered

Try that damn prop I gave fish to get to you yesterday. Should be your meal ticket.

If you can't turn it ill pop the 3 blade off dads sea ray. Might be more your speed..... Lmfao
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Cutting edge/Greg Hittner has done some great work for me, I am truly impressed in his skill and quick turn around time. I have had negative results with other prop guys in the past and am glad to finally find someone who's work actually gives me a speed increase instead of a loss or ill handling, Smitty
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered

yeeeeeep!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drock78
So what's the fee each time you send it back to be tweaked?
Well, cost me $18 for UPS.

I kept expecting to get a call or email from him saying, ok you owe me this much for the lab work and this much for the return shipping, but the prop just showed up at my house. Asked him how much I owed him (I will not take advantage of people's trust), and he said it was on him! Even the shipping. This might not be the case for everyone, and probably wont be the case if it has to go back another time or two, but once is enough for me to be convinced.

(Just to clarify, this was not a Bravo prop that he labbed. This is a custom built CEP 4 blade, built for a boat that he hasnt dialed in before. If you needed additional tweaks done to a lab job on a Bravo, it would probably not be the same story.)

This is a guy who really cares about his customers. In the whole scheme of things, I am a nobody who has only bought one prop from him. He has my business, that is for sure.

Last edited by Philm; 06-22-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy hasn't run the yet but he had some that were bent preety bad when he hit bottom Cutting edge did a GREAT job fixing them