Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Not enough oil for a rocker arm... >

Not enough oil for a rocker arm...

Notices

Not enough oil for a rocker arm...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough oil for a rocker arm...

#1 piston exhaust valve smoked on me last weekend. The pushrod was clear of debris. This happened after a hard run of about 10 min. @ WOT. Two years ago I had the same problem w/ about three of them, but that time was due to a wrong dipstick installed by an engine builder, I have not ran the engine but a few times since then. They changed out several rockers at that time, so I am kind of assuming that this particular rocker had the middle ball still a little galled up and they missed it.

I do have correct oil level this time, matter of fact about 1/16" over the full mark.

I also thought that this was the last in the line to get oil.

I am using Comp Cams Magnum rollers.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly happened to the valve? Is it siezed up in the guide? Bent? Break the head off? May have not had anything to do with rocker arms. Need more info than just smoked the valve. What are specs of this engine?

My first though with out any more info would be that you don't have inconel exhaust valves and are melting them down.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the rocker arms do not provide the oil. your most likely culprit is the lifters...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
What exactly happened to the valve? Is it siezed up in the guide? Bent? Break the head off? May have not had anything to do with rocker arms. Need more info than just smoked the valve. What are specs of this engine?

My first though with out any more info would be that you don't have inconel exhaust valves and are melting them down.
Nothing happened to the valve it was just fine. By smoked I mean that the half ball at the fulcrum of the rocker arm is all galled up. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...359P&ppt=C0146
I ended up changing it out and then ran the engine, on the hose, several times and seems fine. I am going to find out more tonight and tomorrow.

468ci. Mark IV block
rec. port GM heads
stainless intake/Inconel exhaust
forged GM crank and rods
KB Hyper pistons
RPM Performer Intake
MSD 6AL W/ pro billet dist.
Hardin Gil replacement manifolds w/ Hardin HP500 risers
Comp Cam 230/236 .613 .608 114* lobe seperation
CC Magnum rockers 1.72 w/ a heavy wall pushrod(one piece)
CC pro magnum hyd. roller lifters
Holley 800cfm carb
standard oil pump(not HV)
8 qt. pan-full
Not sure on compression nor HP...
Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the parts you got in there I think I would have spent a couple bucks more and went with full rollers. Hope you didn't buy those from Oreilly's at that price! Could have got a nice set of Scorpions or Cranes. You know what your open spring pressure is? Those are advertised for 350lbs. or less.

Last edited by picklenjim; 06-23-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ittledoo
Nothing happened to the valve it was just fine. By smoked I mean that the half ball at the fulcrum of the rocker arm is all galled up. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...359P&ppt=C0146
I ended up changing it out and then ran the engine, on the hose, several times and seems fine. I am going to find out more tonight and tomorrow.

468ci. Mark IV block
rec. port GM heads
stainless intake/Inconel exhaust
forged GM crank and rods
KB Hyper pistons
RPM Performer Intake
MSD 6AL W/ pro billet dist.
Hardin Gil replacement manifolds w/ Hardin HP500 risers
Comp Cam 230/236 .613 .608 114* lobe seperation
CC Magnum rockers 1.72 w/ a heavy wall pushrod(one piece)
CC pro magnum hyd. roller lifters
Holley 800cfm carb
standard oil pump(not HV)
8 qt. pan-full
Not sure on compression nor HP...
I just saw the same thing on a small block Chevy, in a boat of course running a Comp Cams CS XM 270HR-12 to spend the extra $ you should have purchased a set of Scorpion Rocker Arms from Marine Kinetics. If you are on a budget the problem is the oil you are running is lacking ZDDP, this will lubricate the rocker balls, it's the same reason for running an oil additive with a flat tappet cam today. Lucas Oil has the additive you need.
Mark
Old 06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
For the parts you got in there I think I would have spent a couple bucks more and went with full rollers. Hope you didn't buy those from Oreilly's at that price! Could have got a nice set of Scorpions or Cranes. You know what your open spring pressure is? Those are advertised for 350lbs. or less.
Lol....no not ORielys, just a quick Google image to post.

My engine builder back in IL put them on there, I didn't have an opinion one way or the other only due to my ignorance of a decent built package. Two years later, well, I'm getting there.

No I am not sure what the open spring pressure is. But I do believe that some Scorpions are now on my list after the oil thermostat.

Also I am running Royal Purple 15W-40 in it.

Thanks for the help BTW guys!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Registered

I have effectively the same cam or very similar (marine kinetics grind) and I almost put roller tips on, but did the calculation and with that much lift was WAY over the recommended 350lbs for them, I used the scorpion roller rockers. Unless your springs are much lower rate than mine (which could also be a problem) roller tips are not going to work (at least for any amount of time) with over 600 lift.

I doubt your oil had much to do with any of this.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

if it was one of the forward rockers and valve you need to go with a 12 qt oil pan,high pressure high volume oil pump,big oil sooler and a oil cooler thermostat...running 10 min @ wot is a killer on the valve trane..
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ittledoo
#1 piston exhaust valve smoked on me last weekend. The pushrod was clear of debris. This happened after a hard run of about 10 min. @ WOT. Two years ago I had the same problem w/ about three of them, but that time was due to a wrong dipstick installed by an engine builder, I have not ran the engine but a few times since then. They changed out several rockers at that time, so I am kind of assuming that this particular rocker had the middle ball still a little galled up and they missed it.

I do have correct oil level this time, matter of fact about 1/16" over the full mark.

I also thought that this was the last in the line to get oil.

I am using Comp Cams Magnum rollers.

Any thoughts?
Check your pushrod length and valve train geometry. Often wrong sized pushrods will not allow enough oil to the upper valvetrain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.