Wix Racing Oil Filter Diff? *57003R vs 51222R* >

Wix Racing Oil Filter Diff? *57003R vs 51222R*

Notices

Wix Racing Oil Filter Diff? *57003R vs 51222R*

Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WIX-57003R............PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER,1-1/2 -12 6IN TALL...........Principal Application: Racing Applications Only Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 6.210 Outer Diameter Top: 4.600 Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed Thread Size: 1 1/2-12 By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 18-22 Max Flow Rate: 30 GPM Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 4.320 3.820 0.365

WIX-51222R..........PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER1-1/2 -12 6IN TALL...............Principal Application: Racing Applications Only Style: Spin-On Lube Filter Service: Lube Type: Full Flow Media: Paper Height: 6.210 Outer Diameter Top: 4.600 Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed Thread Size: 1 1/2-12 By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 18-22 Max Flow Rate: 28 GPM Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 4.320 3.820 0.365

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just on Amsoils website and see they offer a marine oil bypass unit. What is that all about? It says it filters down to 1 micron. Seems pretty good. I run a big blower motor so I end up changing the oil to eliminate any gas blowby into the oil at the end of every season. I imagine the oil is still good I just do not want to risk it. I sent the oil off to be analyzed so I will know if it is actually necessary. Anybody run a Amsoil or similar bypass unit?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Registered

Default Oil Filter Performance

Originally Posted by thrasher187
I was just on Amsoils website and see they offer a marine oil bypass unit. What is that all about? It says it filters down to 1 micron. Seems pretty good. I run a big blower motor so I end up changing the oil to eliminate any gas blowby into the oil at the end of every season. I imagine the oil is still good I just do not want to risk it. I sent the oil off to be analyzed so I will know if it is actually necessary. Anybody run a Amsoil or similar bypass unit?
Most high quality filters can trap some level of single digit particulate. Ratings are determined by the particulate size at 90% efficiency. Pressure drop through the can is also a factor. The design of the end plate, media and outlet tube must allow for low restriction and high flow while maintaining high efficiency. You could not effectively use a media that has a 1 micron efficiency for oil filtration. The restriction would be immense. Our air filters, on the other hand, can stop and hold particulate sized at .3 microns efficiently.

Our oil filter design goals are 15 Micron at 90% efficiency while allowing very high flow rates that exceed 30 GPM. 60 micron efficiency would not be considered a very effective filter for street or race applications.

A human hair is approximately 80 microns in diameter.

R2C Engineering
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

RC2,
Do you guys manufacture filters? If so, do you offer one without a bypass valve or one with a higher pressure differential opening?

I used to run the Wix 51222r until I started paying attention to micron size. I’m sure the WIX at 60 microns offers a lower resistance to flow and that might be advantageous in NHRA events where every bit of free HP maters, but not pleasure/endurance applications. 60 microns = .0023”, most BBC main bearing clearances are around .003” (.0015” per side). So a 60 micron particle would do damage. I switched to a 27 micron (.0011”) filter. If it truly does filter down to this size, the particles would pass right through the bearing clearances.

Jon
Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Registered

Hi Jon.

What's interesting is that oil filter differential pressure may not necessarily relate to the media being used. Designing effective flow through the can can offer dramatic benefits without having to compromise media performance. When selecting a filter for applications such as yours, it's a good idea to ask for the actual multipass data. Manufacturers often refer to Beta values when describing filter efficiency at a certain particle size. This is a relationship between upstream and downstream particulate. It is measured and counted by a laser.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by DesertRage
RC2,
Do you guys manufacture filters? If so, do you offer one without a bypass valve or one with a higher pressure differential opening?

I used to run the Wix 51222r until I started paying attention to micron size. I’m sure the WIX at 60 microns offers a lower resistance to flow and that might be advantageous in NHRA events where every bit of free HP maters, but not pleasure/endurance applications. 60 microns = .0023”, most BBC main bearing clearances are around .003” (.0015” per side). So a 60 micron particle would do damage. I switched to a 27 micron (.0011”) filter. If it truly does filter down to this size, the particles would pass right through the bearing clearances.

Jon
what filter did you change to?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
the cheapest
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/

anybody suggest a good filter opener tool?
Air chisel with a sheet metal bit. Less than 5 seconds to open and no metal in the filter media. Best thing I've found. The filter openers are cool but they take to long. I have one and never use it.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

it takes me less than 2 min with http://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-F.../dp/B005S39PWS

I caught a sale on a blem was 39., I use to use a hacksaw

Old 07-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
what filter did you change to?
I'm using the Moroso 22465 27 micron, 28 gpm
Considered this: Fram HP6A rated at 12 micron, 20 gpm
Would really like to use: Wix 51810 32 micron, 28 gpm, NO bypass valve, If it was safe for the engine. I would want to know what the pressure differential would be across the filter media when cold with a certain oil.

Moroso and Fram filters have a 22psi bypass valve. During a cold start with thick oil (20-50, straight 40, ect...) I believe a lot of oil gets bypassed thru this valve till it warms ups.

RC2,
Thanks for posting information on "Beta Values" and can design. That's very interesting. Whats your thoughts on running a filter with out a bypass valve in an engine that also does not have a bypass valve. If the engine was allowed to warm up before use and used a high viscosity index oil like 5-40?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by DesertRage
I'm using the Moroso 22465 27 micron, 28 gpm
Considered this: Fram HP6A rated at 12 micron, 20 gpm
Would really like to use: Wix 51810 32 micron, 28 gpm, NO bypass valve, If it was safe for the engine. I would want to know what the pressure differential would be across the filter media when cold with a certain oil.

Moroso and Fram filters have a 22psi bypass valve. During a cold start with thick oil (20-50, straight 40, ect...) I believe a lot of oil gets bypassed thru this valve till it warms ups.

RC2,
Thanks for posting information on "Beta Values" and can design. That's very interesting. Whats your thoughts on running a filter with out a bypass valve in an engine that also does not have a bypass valve. If the engine was allowed to warm up before use and used a high viscosity index oil like 5-40?

i wonder who makes the moroso one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.