6.2MPI exhaust manifold dripping

Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta keep your sense of humor when dealing with boat repairs. After waiting for a week for a tool that didn't arrive on time, welding together a homemade tool and using it to fix the issue, the UPS truck arrives two days in a row. Yesterday, with a wrench ordered from Amazon (ordered Sat. afternoon, arrived on Monday morning) and today the 1/2" drive, 9/16" allen head socket from Sears finally makes an appearance. What do you want to bet I will never need these tools again?

Last edited by Wes Burmark; 07-17-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Still fighting a leak on the starboard engine, starboard side. After wiping off the pipe plug area on the bottom rear of the exhaust manifold I could see that there was water coming down from a higher point. It just appeared to be coming from the pipe plug as that was where the dripping fell from. Anyone have an idea as to what could be the source? 6.2 Mercruiser with raw water cooling.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark
Still fighting a leak on the starboard engine, starboard side. After wiping off the pipe plug area on the bottom rear of the exhaust manifold I could see that there was water coming down from a higher point. It just appeared to be coming from the pipe plug as that was where the dripping fell from. Anyone have an idea as to what could be the source? 6.2 Mercruiser with raw water cooling.
Yours should be like mine, you have water coming in at the bottom and to the riser. Check the fitting on the bottom were the hose attaches, part of it is plastic could be cracked. Are you sure the manifold is not cracked? while it could be a riser gasket I doubt it the new style very rarely leak. The riser could have a hole it it. If the boat was run in salt they are due.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered

Also there is a block drain with a quick coupler underneath the manifold toward the rear of the boat. They leak often, are you sure its not spraying up?

To disconnect the hose I am speaking of just squeeze the tabs on the side.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered

I was leaning over the running engine (careful not to get gobbled up by the belt) holding my wife's 6" diameter magnified make-up mirror looking for the source of the leak. I had a paper towel so I could wipe off the bottom of the manifold. The water was coming down the engine side of the exhaust manifold. IT would follow the bottom of the manifold and drip off of the pipe plug (which is why I first thought that was the issue). No water is coming off the coupler underneath the manifold. The issue began at about 175 hours. I'm going to call in a pro and pay to have it fixed. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for your willingness to help Expensive. It is much appreciated.