Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam question >

Cam question

Notices

Cam question

Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RHS makes a great Pro Torker heads with 64cc chambers and big valves. It would go nicely with a comp cam hydro roller cam, and a high-rise intake. I would think you would gain 4-5 m.p.h. with this setup.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the wait and do it all idea. You will not notice any measurable difference with the stock heads and a conservative flat tappet cam. Enjoy the rest of the summer with what you have unless you can spring for Vortec's now.

Plan to make a real change with Vortec heads, a roller cam and lifter set, double roller timing chain, needle bearing rockers and matching push rods as well as something like an Edelbrock Air Gap intake or equivalent. Throw a good Carburetor on there...make sure your ignition is up to the task and get ready for a case of "Perm a Grin"

I know...it's summer and you want to have something right now to enjoy but trust me...it will be worth the wait.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctbs99xc
Well motors out of the boat right now just figured a cam would give me something for right now. Boats a 85 wellcraft nova 23xl shes heavy an slow at about 43mph. But can take some big waves out in lake Erie.
As a bench mark for you.... I have a 95 23 Nova and can tell you it takes power to get a 23 moving. Mine with a 7.4/330 did 56-57 gps. Put a ZZ502/502 in it and would get 72. Now with 691 hp best I've seen is 83.1. 23 Nova is a great little boat, but not at all a fast hull.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
You will never be spinning it fast enough to worry about valve float. You setup the springs per individual cam so they do not bind and have the correct seat pressure. They bind you will drop a valve, to much seat pressure and can wipe a cam lobe off.

I also would leave it alone and enjoy what you have. If you do decide to change it go with a hydraulic roller cam. There is no reason to ever use a flat tappet anymore.

Good luck.
i 100 percent agree .hyd roller,flat tappet is a thing of the past imo.