Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gasoline expansion in fuel tank >

Gasoline expansion in fuel tank

Notices

Gasoline expansion in fuel tank

Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my issue, I tig'd up a couple of inserts that go into the top of my fuel fill hose. They have a "T" welded in place that allows the vent to "Dump" fuel upon a "puke" condition while still venting vapor. My preference is not to test this again however, in theory, it should would just fine. The bent tube when installed will be pointing up to help eliminate filling the vent line with fuel during a fill up. The other hardware is a few extra clamps and a 1/2" brass "T" in the vent line.
Attached Thumbnails Gasoline expansion in fuel tank-fill-insert.jpg  

Last edited by teamsynergy; 07-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
After my issue, I tig'd up a couple of inserts that go into the top of my fuel fill hose. They have a "T" welded in place that allows the vent to "Dump" fuel upon a "puke" condition while still venting vapor. My preference is not to test this again however, in theory, it should would just fine. The bent tube when installed will be pointing up to help eliminate filling the vent line with fuel during a fill up. The other hardware is a few extra clamps and a 1/2" brass "T" in the vent line.
cool, so it hits that before the open air vent. Good idea, mine seems to puke a wet vapor never a full fluid puke and may need a catch type can. Post up how that system works.

Your system should eliminate the fuel peculating out of the tank vent on those hot nights by allowing the fill side to equalize as well
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 07-24-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You can add me to that list... Happened Friday.... Found today at the beach in Kenosha.
Damn Todd. I thought I was the only knucklehead that
overfilled my tank on Friday. Mine did not even get off the
trailer when I noticed the yellow/brownish streak on the side
of the boat. A few paper towels and some water from the
cooler and I was good to go. In this instance I feel lucky to
have a plain white boat.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski
Damn Todd. I thought I was the only knucklehead that
overfilled my tank on Friday. Mine did not even get off the
trailer when I noticed the yellow/brownish streak on the side
of the boat. A few paper towels and some water from the
cooler and I was good to go. In this instance I feel lucky to
have a plain white boat.
Didn't overfill the boat... heat from Friday plus traveling causing the expansion thus making the fuel leak from the vent. Difference between yours and mine is paint vs. gel coat. I believe gel coat is much more resilient to this type of thing while clear coat/paint is not.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glassdave great comments about the fuel.
IMO it's all a matter of the length of time that the fuel touches the paint. You're at the gas station, it "spits out" you rinse off and rewax no problem.
I really owe alot to Teamsynergy. What a great guy who came up with a workable solution that should significantly reduce the possiblity of this ever happening again. Can't thank you enough my friend!
Mitch will be at my place Monday and Tuesday to once again restore the beauty to my Sonic.
He advised me "not" to get into a pi_____ match with other people on the forum who may not really have the knowledge. Thank to guys like TS for making constructive comments and well thought out "fixes" to problems!
S -
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Registered

Default fixx

so i take it thease are uscg approved eh!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
so i take it thease are uscg approved eh!
I'm glad you asked that question... yes, this method is USCG approved as:

A) You are not dumping fuel into the hull.

B) You are still venting outside the hull through a flame arrestor and are limiting the flow to 2 gallons per minute or less.

USCG Reg's
http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio...rds_partd.aspx
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Registered

I just use my fuel up each time out, and refill on the way to the ramp next time.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Yes he will if close enought ot his studio. Yes expensive that towing my boat 5-6 hours w/my F350 diesel and going through a ton of fuel.
Believe me I only had maybe 50 -55 gals in the 102 gal tank when this happened. Had to be the incline on my driveway. Even if it were close to full it's hard to predict how much you're going to burn off on Lake Michigan on day out. If you come off the water and you think you have to much the only thing you could do is pump it out I suppose. HAving too much gas, however, wasn't my problem.
"Elite Marine" who and where are you located? I'm always on the Chain. Can't miss (hearing and seeing) my Sonic.
S -
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by steve chalupka
Yes he will if close enought ot his studio. Yes expensive that towing my boat 5-6 hours w/my F350 diesel and going through a ton of fuel.
Believe me I only had maybe 50 -55 gals in the 102 gal tank when this happened. Had to be the incline on my driveway. Even if it were close to full it's hard to predict how much you're going to burn off on Lake Michigan on day out. If you come off the water and you think you have to much the only thing you could do is pump it out I suppose. HAving too much gas, however, wasn't my problem.
"Elite Marine" who and where are you located? I'm always on the Chain. Can't miss (hearing and seeing) my Sonic.
S -
i havn't seen either one you you 2 on the chain..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.