stereo advice >

stereo advice

Notices

stereo advice

Old 08-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo advice

I am thinking of upgrading my stereo and would welcome any advice or input. I recently bought my father in laws 88 baja force 265 and really want to change and upgrade the stereo. Ive been having battery problems so ive not even played it any but as of now it has an alpine radio/tape player and alpine 6 disc changer in the cabin along with 2 6 1/2 alpines in there and also 2 6 1/2 alpines mounted under the rear bench. I would like a good sounding stereo that you can hear and control while in the water and is iphone compatible. Im trying to get my best bang for my buck, looking at alpine 9886 head unit but not sure if it works with iphones and maybe changing all the speakers to polk or kicker. Hopefully I can add a couple subs and amps later but dont think its in my budget right now. What do you guys think should I even bother changing speakers will it make a difference? I could maybe spend like $1000 so what would be the best way to spend the money or what would you guys do? I could do some now and some next year. Any suggestions or input appreciated thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

I went with the kenwood KMR-440U ipod compatable and the wired remote KCA-Rc107MR with lcd display. and I would go with the KICKER speakers the 6in components will sound 10 times better than their 2 way speakers and you can get the 340 watt kicker marine amp that would make everything sound nice and clean. I believe on ebay you can get the amp and speaker combo for under 500 all in all you should be able to replace what you have for 700-800 range
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Still lookin for more advice, anyone else?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would recommend the Alpine CDA-9886M like you said or even better the CDA-118M and get the Bluetooth remote. The head unit is ipod compatible and the remote will display all ipod info (I believe it is the only marine remote that does so). I have a buddy of mine that is an Alpine dealer and has it in his personal boat as well as several of his buddies. You can add several of the remotes in different locations all around the boat and because it is Bluetooth you only need to run power to it.

As far as speaker I would go with JBL separates with at least 1 good 10 or 12 inch sub.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Registered

Mine has a sony explode, i pod compatible, blue tooth also. all 3 factory remotes on boat ctrl all settings & ipod too (good to fwd past the wifes beyonce crap). uses 3 amps to drive 18 speakers & 4 subs. Is louder than I need, but sounds great
Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Do you have to buy marine head units in order to buy and use a waterproof rf remote? My head unit would be in the cabin and wont get wet so I could get by without a marine unit if there were any benefit. Also would replacing the current four 6 1/2s get me a decent enough sound especially if not running off an amp? I would like to have a sub or subs and amp as well but dont know if its in the budget.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Fusion. The front flips down and your iPod or iPhone slides in. The head unit fully controls the ipod or iPhone, and you can have many inline wired remotes. My head unit is in the cabin, and I have a wired remote at the dash and transom. The head unit also has 4 independently controlled zones so you can get real creative with volume control in different parts of the boat. It is also Sirius compatable and has an additional aux port.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ckcgobigblue View Post
Do you have to buy marine head units in order to buy and use a waterproof rf remote? My head unit would be in the cabin and wont get wet so I could get by without a marine unit if there were any benefit. Also would replacing the current four 6 1/2s get me a decent enough sound especially if not running off an amp? I would like to have a sub or subs and amp as well but dont know if its in the budget.
I have a regular JVC head unit and also the RF remote. Seems like when I was researching,many brands only required the head unit to be steering wheel remote capable to be RF capable
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

So I can just use a regular head unit? Should I replace it and current speakers the wait till next year for amps and a couple subs? What would be the best sounding stereo for the money while we are in the water? Even thought about speakers I could lay on sun deck while swimming and store when not? Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, any head unit will work. Standard auto units will give you way more choices. Just get one that has the features you want such as the 3.5mm jack and the ability to use whatever remote you want. Not all head units will work with the RF remote. Gotta do some research there. Also one that has the RCA outputs for your amps. When to buy is whenever works best for you. You'll get several brand preferences, I'm an all out JL person myself. A budget will come into play too.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 08-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.