Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Flame Arrestor Killed My Dyno Power >

Flame Arrestor Killed My Dyno Power

Notices

Flame Arrestor Killed My Dyno Power

Old 07-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Spanky

I JUST (about an hour ago) ordered 2 flame arresors tonight. Online at 4filters.com. Prices were the same as everybody else, user freindly web site and 5 dollar shipping per order, not per item. Make sure you remember to order the breather tube kit with your arrestors if you need them. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4filters.com......Am I reading their web site wrong?? Only $85 for a K&N filter?? Does that include the element?? Or is it just the stainless parts. And where do I find the breather adapters??? If I can get into this arrestor for under $100 I'd consider ordering one.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we have a group purchase discount forming? Sign me up!
Old 07-08-2002, 09:59 PM
Spanky

I'm pretty sure thats everything. (I hope!) Go on the official K & N web site for the part number for the breather adapters. I just got the email back confirming the order $202 and change for everything...

Old 07-08-2002, 11:13 PM
voodoo

Most of the marine filter kits come with a 2 3/4 X 9 element. You need the 5 inch element. You will then need to order the 6" breather tube adapters. Your total cost will be around 150-170 depending on who you order it through. I had the stainless top and bottom and had to order the taller element and the breather adapters. I ordered these through O'Reilly auto parts for less than 90 bucks no shipping. I think Advance auto parts is cheaper.(I found this out later!)

Old 07-09-2002, 07:31 AM
Registered

stevejohns
Yes the 30HP is real. We backed that figure up with another pull, so it was not a fluke. The carb is a 750 Q-jet and I had a new Graffig 8 inch dia 3inch high element. The base plate opening is actually 5 inchs at the carb throat, with a quick transition to accomadate the 8 inch element. Kook you may be correct about the turbulence. Remember this 30 HP is in a dyno cell with a lot of air movement. What would be the acutual lose in a confined engine compartment? Now I need to make sure I can get a new base to fit the Q-jet throat with as large a K&N element as I can use. And yes, I will require crankcase breather tube mounts that I see CP performance carries. I will check out this other supplier also.
Thanks Guys
Old 07-10-2002, 10:25 AM
bwiencek

Has anyone seen this type of drop on a smaller displacement motor? I've got a 355 in mine and it seems to run out of steam on the top end sooner than it was built for - but I'm also running the small stock (about 5" dia, 1" high) flame arrestor....

If anyone wants to sell one of their "larger" flame arrestors from a big block I'd like to try that and see if I pick up some HP!

Old 07-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

What kind of hp and torque numbers were you getting Larry?
Old 07-10-2002, 01:15 PM
Registered

Hi Fred,
Good to hear from you. We got 440 HP and 498 ft lbs. We did not get a chance to run the engine at Katech, where the kid works. We have had it together for about 2 months and was waiting for dyno time. Katech is very busy with GM work so I went to an independent guy in the area. I wanted to get the tuning close, but I wanted to make sure everything was tight, before it went in the boat, and didn't end up with a bilge full of oil or something. Also I wanted to break the new cam in out of the boat. My son went through those heads, and there was no problem. We did however, install a lighter set of springs as we though the ones on the heads were on the heavy side. The engine ran well. I just think there is a little more there with some fooling around. The guy on the dyno ran it up to 5750 on one pull, and I was not pleased. What was this guy thinking? But no damage was done. How is your new boat?
Old 07-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Registered

Those numbers look great Larry....that 498ft lbs of torque will get it up and going are you done on the dyno or tweaking more?...My Excalibur 40 Hawk is running good....still cleaning up things on it, have spent 10 nights on it so far.....good thing it's got air on it.....it's a tank in the rough stuff and the best speed so far was with Waterfoul at the wheel half a tank of gas (100 some gallons) and 4 people on board it went 58mph on gps....lighten up the load and fuel with the right water should get 60 out of it...have another exhaust to put on it, its a ceter riser, the set on it now is the old riser in the rear set up with 3" tailpipes, the center-riser set with 4" tailpipes that I have should help it breath better, also I just don't want to tear it apart now to change it over....Fred

Quick Reply: Flame Arrestor Killed My Dyno Power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.