Trim issues. Need help. >

Trim issues. Need help.

Notices

Trim issues. Need help.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim issues. Need help.

Ok Don't remember when it started, but now the only way I can get my port drive to trim up is use the trim switch and trim/trailer button at the same time. The switch on the throttle only raises starboard drive. Checked all switches on dash, working correctly electrically.

I think my problem may be the sensor at the drive. 10 yr old boat, my guess is corroded ?? If it is the sensor, how do you check for sure and how to replace it.

Anybody else have same issue and what was the fix ???

Thanks !!

Smitty

Last edited by Smitty; 08-04-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Had plenty of trim issues over the years. Oh wait... you mean the boat...

When you say checked electrically, both trim switches in both directions are providing voltage to the trim pump independently of each other?

I'm no expert, but if the trim pump works (and you say it does by holding both switches) it sounds to me like I'd check if there is a voltage drop issue at the throttle switch. As in corroded, enought to show continuity but cant handle the amperage draw of running the trim pump by itself?

Tough to know without seeing how the system is wired between both switches and where the driver sensor comes into the equation in the circuit.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like the trim limit switch which is mounted on the port side of the gimble ring. It's just a simple on-off switch and a lot of times you can just take them apart and clean the contacts. A way to test it is find the Purple/White wire and Blue/White wires which are connected inside the boat to the two wires from the limit switch for that side. Disconnect them and put a small jumper wire between the Purple/White and Blue/White wires and see if it works then with the trim button only. You are now bypassing the limit switch on the drive. This is essentially what the trailer button does is bypasses the limit switch. Trailer button has no current though unless the trim button is also pressed.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

quite frequently the trim limit switch dies. it is in the water, and the wires go out thru transom and are wiggled around every time you turn the wheel. sometimes huge pita to fix. hook blue trailer wire where purple trim wire is on throttle switch, or just splice together in a way you can undo later after taking care of trim limit issue. just remember you can trim too high that way...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanks Guys !!! Bypassed switch as suggested and it worked. So then I took it apart to find it was corroded causing no contact. Cleaned it all up and filled it with dialectric grease and now it works fine !!!!

Thanks !!!!

Smitty