Transmission Levers Hard to Shift >

Transmission Levers Hard to Shift

Notices

Transmission Levers Hard to Shift

Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Levers Hard to Shift

Just purchased my first twin engine boat. It has twin 377 scorpion engines with Bravo 1 legs.

The shift levers are Graffrig shifters and throttles. I have to put considerable force on the shift levers to shift either forward or reverse. The trasnmissions engage smoothly but the pressure needed to shift is very high. I had a Baja and the transmission shifting was very easy and was only about 1/4 effort of my new boat?

Is this normal for this type of setup? Is there a maintenance item I should be looking at?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 182 Posts

Sounds like it's time for new cables.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or the detent ball is seized.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

If the throttles are free after the shift it could very well be a poppet/detent ball issue.

John jr
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

+1

I had the same issue with my starboard Bravo 1 a couple years ago. It was hard to shift. Removed the outdrive and the shifters moved very easy and smooth. Determined water was able to get into the cavity (bad o-ring) that houses the shift linkage and detent. It broke down the grease and started rusting causing it to bind up. Replace those parts (items 14, 15 and 38) greased them up and has been silky smooth ever since.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Levers Hard to Shift-pic.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

Thanks 4mula - will start at the legs and work back. I noticed both shifters are equally difficult to move?

Will pull apart one of the legs and inspect. I need to overhaul the drives this winter.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered

you are correct but the water actually enters from the crimp on the lower shift cable,not the gasket on the cable,change out the cable ,and bellow,detent ball,and most foremost the shift link-along with the rear cover o-ring and lube with only 101 with teflon
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You're welcome Chase. That would be unusual for both of your drives to have this problem, but at least pulling one off will help you figure out just what is going on. Btw, mine are 2006 Bravo 1's. Good luck!

It has been a couple years and thinking about it a bit more I did replace a couple other seals.

wes, I do remember that the leak was from a bad o-ring. It is the one that seals where the linkage passes through to connect to the cable shown in the first pic. The o-ring is #4 in the second pic. I also replaced the shaft seals and bushings (#7, #8, and #9) and the rear cover gasket (#37 in early pic).
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Levers Hard to Shift-shiftcablelinkagejaws.gif   Transmission Levers Hard to Shift-pic.jpg  

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 08-21-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo