Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Draining your oil >

Draining your oil

Notices

Draining your oil

Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I went one step farther....I bought the hose and 90 deg fitting that fit where the oil pan drain plug went. I then ran this hose to a bulkhead mounted electric oil pump I picked up at West Marine. Wired it to the electrical system and now have a built in oil removal pump.

Now all I have to do is turn on the battery, open a quarter turn valve on the pump assembly and route the output hose to an appropriate container, and turn the pump on. Sucks it all out. Having the oil warm makes it go much faster.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Fair warning, some of those are too big for the hull drain hole. I use a second piece of hose that has a fitting with a smaller OD and put it through the drain hole from the outside. Then screw the two together.
+1 Mine will not go through my hull drain all the way. I just put it through as far as I can, sticks out about 1/2", and put the drain pan under it.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the CP kits when I upgraded my 575's... funny thing was that those POS kits didn't fit through the garboard drains... I even added two separate garboards for them.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Yanmars have the dipstick tube attached to the drain plug hole from the factory so I just suck it out of the tube with a big vacuum pump. I would imagine it wouldn't be that hard to adapt the yanmar tube to another motors drain plug with the proper fittings. I have 6LP's in case you want to look up the part at a yanmar dealer.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Second and third that one!!!
Bought the exact same ones, will not fit my drain plugs

Merc ones are a lot smaller hose/fitting, but I could never locate the Merc ones as they stopped doing that.

They work fine in theory, but my answer to oil changes was this. It works great on all fluids!!! Cars, trucks, lawn equipement etc.

http://www.amazon.com/MityVac-7300-P...im_sbs_auto_26

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Fair warning, some of those are too big for the hull drain hole. I use a second piece of hose that has a fitting with a smaller OD and put it through the drain hole from the outside. Then screw the two together.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got these on both my engines. You can hook a pump to the hose, route it out the bilge drain hole or drain it into a pan in the bilge then lift it out. I do the last method because of my staggered engines I can't run the hose our the drain hole from the forward engine. But, I've got room beside the engine for a pan. No Mess at all and you get all the oil out.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
Second and third that one!!!
Bought the exact same ones, will not fit my drain plugs

Merc ones are a lot smaller hose/fitting, but I could never locate the Merc ones as they stopped doing that.

They work fine in theory, but my answer to oil changes was this. It works great on all fluids!!! Cars, trucks, lawn equipement etc.

http://www.amazon.com/MityVac-7300-P...im_sbs_auto_26
that's what i use ,too
Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

I bought the cp
Performance ones too. Won't fit the drain hole. So i chopped off their end, and installed a barbed 3/8" fitting with a plug. That fits fine. And I have it pulled up next to the steering assembly and bracketed to the transom. Can't leak ever if it's 12" above the engine when not it use
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

we sell the MPI motor oil drain hose kits inwhich is the same set up as CP Perf. but the drain hose fits thru the drain plug hole. Also they swivel at the oil pan drain hole.

Last edited by BUP; 08-26-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by inthetundra
I have Fumoto drain valves in everything except the boat, haven't got that far yet. They work great as long as the oil is warm, otherwise it's a slow drain. Positive lock when closed too! They do have a model with a nipple on it. I put a vaccuum cap on it to keep it clean.
I think I'll go this route because of the transom plug size issue. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.