How much water in your bilge? >

How much water in your bilge?

Notices

How much water in your bilge?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
Default How much water in your bilge?

I get about a quart or 2 of water in my bilge after 3 or 4 weekends of boating. I trailer so it's only in the water a limited amount of time. I can't see any signs of a leak anywhere. I've also got a small oil leak, just enough to cover the water and I can't find it either. Looks like I'm going to pull the motor this winter. Just looking for a consensus on bilge water.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Nary a drop unless I get caught out in the rain. Boat is self bailing and the only thing that drains to the bilge is the anchor locker (which begs the question, why?!). So if it rains I get water through the rode openings on either side of the anchor locker lid.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

ive got a leak in my transom somewhere, i probably pump out a 2-3 gallons during the day w/ them set on auto.

ive replaced the bellows but mechanic where i keep boat says more than likely its from the transom mounts or water pickups. so this winter i will have another big project to undertake.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I get about a quart or 2 of water in my bilge after 3 or 4 weekends of boating. I trailer so it's only in the water a limited amount of time. I can't see any signs of a leak anywhere. I've also got a small oil leak, just enough to cover the water and I can't find it either. Looks like I'm going to pull the motor this winter. Just looking for a consensus on bilge water.
I would think that little water could splash into the boat or be brought into the boat by wet swimmers. A leaky cooler could add some also.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a drop!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine doesn't leak at all. However we do drain out a cup or two when back at the ramp, but that is because we swim all day and my daughter is in and out of the baot most of the day...... But it isn't enough for the bilge pump to even pump out. Only when my boat is on the ramp incline, does the water make it's way to the drain..... I did inspect my bellows yesterday, an my shift cable bellows looks like it is time to replace.... I hope to stretch it out until end of the season (next month).
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A quart or two over a month? Not a problem. That's cooler sweat, spilled water, rain/condensation, and drip from swim suits.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have kids that love to jump off the sun pad/gunnels continuously. This can be a few gallons some times! I'll be modifying the drains this year to be plumbed into the bilge line.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Registered

probably a gallon or so. drains on an incline only. We are constantly in and out of the boat and tend to bring what seems like half the lake with us!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Dry unless we get hvy rain and only have the cockpit cover on or the kids are swimming off the back and they like to get in & out a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.