Help! I broke it! >

Help! I broke it!

Notices

Help! I broke it!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fleg1
I had a 454 mag that acted like that.. ended up having some bent push rods...
Lets just hope its bad gas but it also could be a sticking valve or a timing issue and the list goes on from there.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely bad gas. My boat sat for the last 6 weeks until last Saturday. Had 15 gallons of premium in it, filled it with 45 gallons of new premium and had no problems. My friend from work also had his boat sit for the 6 weeks, he took his out on Friday and only added 5 gallons on top of 10 old gallons and had problems similar to yours. He called me that Friday night because we were meeting on the river Saturday and I told him its probably bad gas so top the tank off with new. And Saturday his boat ran great with the new gas.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 84 Scarab
OK IM going to pull all the plugs and inspect tonight, I have a comprassion tester so I will do that while the plugs are out also. I will report back any findings thanks guys. I'm hoping it aint bad gas because if it is there is alot in there and I dont know how I could drain it all.
Where in MD did you fill up last? I know of one marina that loaded several boats with bad gas this summer.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

If its a mech. Fuel pump, check the bypass line running from the pump to the carb. If fuel is coming out and flooding the carb. Replace the fuel pump. Smell the oil if it smells like gas change it also. If there's enough gas to puddle in the intake theres enough gas to pass the rings.

Last edited by raisingkane; 08-29-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered

An '84 350 is an old work horse and not as finicky as the new Hi tech engines. That said, I'll review some facts.
Fuel in intake...could be from Choke or you pumping the throttle.
No water in separator. Should not be any in carb. then.
If you are fueling from a gas station it will be Ethanol and it will Phase separate with moisture and leave behind two differrent products. Both bad but the Ethanol water combo should separate in filter. They remaining product does not burn well due to being stripped of it's volatility factor. I lost a 350 last year due to bad gas. Build up gum on intake valves and stuck one. Engine had 40hrs.
Spark plugs...Did you remove them ? how did they look ? If they were Black and carboned up, that is definitly a sign of BAD GAS. How does your gas smell ? sour or does it bite your nose ?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered

OK so I got some time to work on it yesterday heres what I found....Spark plugs were not black and carboned up, but were all saturated in gas, like fouled from all the gas on them. I didnt have my carb on the engine (its in pieces) so I couldnt do the compression check, but I did replace all the plugs while I was there. I also replaced the fuel filter while I was there and primed it with fresh fuel, just waiting on a carb now. I have been using all 92 octane gas from a gas station, no marina fuel as I trailer the boat everywhere. I will interested in trying it with another carb to rule that out.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Why can't you do a compression check with the carb off? Is your cam shaft in your carb?

Check the inside of your dist cap for corrosion as well
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Why can't you do a compression check with the carb off? Is your cam shaft in your carb?

Check the inside of your dist cap for corrosion as well

I have a mechanical fuel pump dont wanna shoot gas everywhere.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Stuck needle and seat. Sounds like you are working on the carb so that should fix it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 AM
Registered

I suspect carb, I will let you know if that fixes it. Boat managed to break just in time for labor day weekend : (

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.