Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
trailer surge brakes help needed >

trailer surge brakes help needed

Notices

trailer surge brakes help needed

Old 07-12-2002, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks blue and hav cat... you guys are both on to what I was beginning to expect.

i pumped the emergency lever, and it pumped up?????? then I held it and it slowly bled off....hmmmmmm.

i had one drum that had grease all over it. thought the inner bearing seal was the problem. maybe this is actually dirty brake fluid. so i took that wheel off and began pumping the emergency lever again.

two things.
1) I raN out of what little fluid I had. bought more last night.

2) I got all greasy with NON work on boat clothes and had to come in and wash up for dinner just like my 4 year old. ( we were both in trouble for getting dirty)

so if not the cylinder on this wheel, then I think its leaking into the frame rail. luckily Manning trailers is only a 45min drive away!!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramb... you are just like me. I come home from work and just want to check a little something out on the boat (still in good clothes)... before you know it I am laying in the bilge pulling engine parts off!! I can empathize with the four yr old thing. That was funny as **** to me!!! Thanks fo rthe laugh

BT
Old 07-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Registered

don't know if you have seen any of our West Michigan posts so this might not mean that much but.......

If you wrench on your boat and have to wash your hands BEFORE you go to Work......
you may be a sophisticated redneck

If you change out of your work clothes to wrench on your boat.....

If your wife's car is a truck.....

If......????........
Old 07-12-2002, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fit them all!!

BT
Old 07-12-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

I kept pumping the emerg. lever and the fluid was "dissapearing". well I had the rear left wheel off because i was suspicious about the grease ( maybe fluid ?) in the drum.

Havasu Cig, you were right on....... the hyd jack settled a little over night. and I had a big dripping puddle of brake fluid coming out the drain hole of the left frame box section at the end of the trailer. I guess the trailer self flushed every time i put the boat in the water and that was why i had a hard time finding this.

Now i need to call Manning to see if they have any idea why/were it is leaking in the run from coupler to output hole down the trailer rail. Seems like this should be one tube just bent at the ends to come out the two caulked/sealed holes in the trailer box section.

vibration wear already??? like i said, very little miles.
there is one bend where the frame goes from triangular shaped to rectangular/parallel. maybe a connector there. no way to get to that?

worse case I guess I plumb a new run down the outside of the rail.

BTW. trailer is "new" in that it was brand new when i purchased the boat three years ago. so no warranty. I just checked in this months powerboat mag article on trailer maintenance. good timing on this article

. guess my six tires should be replaced already too, per their suggestion????
Old 07-17-2002, 10:08 AM
Registered

Well I yanked the line out of the frame rail. leaking in two spots. rusty and worn in one spot and the other leak was at a junction because the brake lines come to Manning in 20' sections and they need to add 2' to complete the run for my trailer.

checked everywhere around town for a 22'+ length. NO one has this. they just connect pre-made sections together for auto applications!!!!

found a custom (non marine) trailer manufacturer in Grand Haven. Envirotech. Dave there was very helpful. he is quoting continuous length steel, stainless, and polyethylene with stainless brained outer for abraision for me. I'll know tomorrow.

SWEET. maybe this guy can make a business out of good brakes lines for some of us OSO members?. can't imagine replacing brake lines every three years. what if that happend to your car with your family????

oh. BTW. truck is in for new rotors, they are warped and pitted to the point they cant be turned down and meet spec. THIS IS A 2001 with 22,000 miles!!! rotors are under warranty

no comments Waterfoul on how hard i brake . I did squeal all four tires trying to stop the truck and 8,000lbs of boat and trailer last weekend. I think the Honda in front of me was a little nervous

Last edited by Rambunctious; 07-17-2002 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of years ago I was replacing the wheel cylinders on my truck and was trying to figure out how I was going to bleed the system by myself. I had stopped what I was doing to answer the phone and when I returned there was a growing puddle of brake fluid under the wheels I was working on. I had left the bleeders open and gravity took care of the rest. I never did bleed them under pressure.
Maybe you'll have the same luck I had.