Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Starboard prop not keeping "traction" >

Starboard prop not keeping "traction"

Notices

Starboard prop not keeping "traction"

Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to say it's a rubber hub, but I can't be sure yet... can I tell by looking at the back of the prop? Also, how hard is it to press the old hub out and press a new one in? Are the hubs prop-specific I would imagine? Sorry for the amature questions... I'm new to this
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by atisvt99
I want to say it's a rubber hub, but I can't be sure yet... can I tell by looking at the back of the prop? Also, how hard is it to press the old hub out and press a new one in? Are the hubs prop-specific I would imagine? Sorry for the amature questions... I'm new to this
No problem. That's what we're here for.

Assuming you can access the prop and get some leverage on it, block the prop from turning with a block of wood. Now, with a heavy glove on, try to turn it with the boat in gear. (Be careful not to cut your hands here!) If the prop spins and the propshaft doesn't, you've got a simple hub issue.

You can tell if you have a solid or rubber hub by looking in the back (exhaust) side of the prop. A solid hub will be all metal in there. A rubber hub will be - well - rubber. Newer Mercury props use a Flow Torque system with either a solid metal or plastic hub. Again, this is vissible from the rear.

If you have a rubber hub and have spun it, you've got to take it to a prop shop to have it replaced. If you have the Flow Torque system, you can buy the parts and do it yourself.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Registered

Red face Haha...

Found the culprit... It was wedged in between the outdrive and the transom... not sure how it stayed in place since I raised both drives all the way up twice. In any case, I'm ASSUMING that this was the problem... won't be able to take her out for a test spin until tomorrow...

We did also mark the prop hub just to be sure - in the even that it does it again...

Thanks for all the input today, fellas... Again, much appreciated!

- justin
Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Yea, that'll do it. Glad it was something simple!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by atisvt99
Had an interesting experience last night while coming home from some all-you-can-eat just down the river...
- Justin
I'm assuming your on the potomac... There used to be a dock-n-puke I cant remember the name of just north of Quantico. The wife and I went there alot for hush-puppies. You should check it out!

I moved away from there in 2006 but I loved it while I was there with all the water around...

Glad your boat wasnt broken! hope thats all it was!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by balinsteadt
I'm assuming your on the potomac... There used to be a dock-n-puke I cant remember the name of just north of Quantico. The wife and I went there alot for hush-puppies. You should check it out!

I moved away from there in 2006 but I loved it while I was there with all the water around...

Glad your boat wasnt broken! hope thats all it was!
Hey, I missed this post somehow last year... We have a blast and only live about 3 minutes from the boat/water... I'm thinking you were talking about Tim's Ricershore just above quantico?? Good times for sure... not the best food, but I've yet to see a Ruth's Chris on the water... haha

And the boat was fine after the removal of the buoy!