Mercury 525efi fuel filter

Notices

Mercury 525efi fuel filter

Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury 525efi fuel filter

Is there a known problem with the fuel filters on the Mercury 525efi's or do I just have bad luck? I had port motor filter crack around the welded fitting on the discharge side of filter last month. I thought they might just be getting old (I only had boat for a year) so I bought 3 new Mercury filters @ 40.00 each to replace them all. Sunday I had the center motor filter crack in the same place as the first time. Let alone costing 40.00 each this problem can get serious in a hurry since it is dumping alot of fuel on top of a hot motor. Has anyone else had this problem with the filters?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ozarkdevil
Is there a known problem with the fuel filters on the Mercury 525efi's or do I just have bad luck? I had port motor filter crack around the welded fitting on the discharge side of filter last month. I thought they might just be getting old (I only had boat for a year) so I bought 3 new Mercury filters @ 40.00 each to replace them all. Sunday I had the center motor filter crack in the same place as the first time. Let alone costing 40.00 each this problem can get serious in a hurry since it is dumping alot of fuel on top of a hot motor. Has anyone else had this problem with the filters?
First, don't buy the filter from merc, it is a GM part

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9SR90/..._df_B000C9SR90

I would check the mounting of the fitler and play on the lines, the later 525 EFI's switched to a canister type filter, not sure if they did because of problems with these or just engine evolution.

My 575's have the same fiter, when I changed them both ends of the lines have play for flex, I would make sure you have flex as well and also make sure you are not over torquing the new filters
Old 09-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

WOW! Amazon 3 filters = 34.00 with shipping, compared to discounted price of 113.00 that I got.
Fuel inlet line is rigid & the filter is secured with bracket but the outlet line (side that is cracking) has flex in the line.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had the same thing happen 3 times, I put a zip tie on the fuel line on the out put side and no more troubles !
Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered

Default AC-Delco GM part

Do you know if the 500 efi uses the same filter? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by billpor930
Do you know if the 500 efi uses the same filter? Thanks.
yes

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...+And+Injectors
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I am having a heck of a time getting the lines to seat and not leak. There are not any crush washers or O-rings that I can see in the original filters and I have tried 3 brands of aftermarket filers. Really crazy that the line is solely relying on fare nut to locate and seal. Does anyone have some insight or solutions?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
I am having a heck of a time getting the lines to seat and not leak. There are not any crush washers or O-rings that I can see in the original filters and I have tried 3 brands of aftermarket filers. Really crazy that the line is solely relying on fare nut to locate and seal. Does anyone have some insight or solutions?
I just had this issue, the aftermarket filter was flat on the inside and the fuel line did not mate up properly causing the line to leak. The merc. filter is beveled inside where the fuel line fits over it to seal properly when tightened up. I bought a merc. filter and it sealed up just fine. I would stick with the merc. parts on this one.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Registered

I had no issues using the ac delco filters. The fuel lines on these boats are nothing special, standard stuff. I actually had an issue with one of the merc filters to years ago, had to really crank it down to seal.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can ruse a rubber clamp to bolt or mount to the motor it has help. Also if I knew how to post pics these filters from Merc are junk internally as they would come apart also and offer no filtration. I do not buy them anymore from Merc -use the Mallory marine apps and have had better luck with them. The merc ones are from Mexico.