procharger ? >

procharger ?

Notices

procharger ?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question procharger ?

hey guys, o.k ive been going back and forth about an procharger on my 496ho with cmi's in my daytona 27. i hear guys saying it wont stay together (i know all about the engine, cast crank and pistons, etc.) and i hear guys saying they run theirs wot for an hour at poker runs and have never had a problem, with over 120 hours on them(this is at 3.5 psi.) i have talked with jason at kunkels marine in ohio. (known him awhile, great guy and knows his s*>t.) he has no issues with prochargers on the 496's and he says he has about a dozen of them running on lake erie some running the piss out of them that he has installed. he says at 3.5 psi. ill have no problems. and i believe he said it will still be putting out 560+ hp. i hear alot of people saying they are against the procharger for the 496's but these are guys that arent running the set up. id like to hear from some guys that are running this set up to see what they think along with other peoples comments. thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i have no experiance with procharged 496,but i have seen 454s [330hp] with supercharger and 3 to 4 lbs boost and seem to last,so i think a 496 woukld survive with 3.5 lbs boost.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

im running a whipple on my 496,and love every minute of it...according to ray at raylar,the stock crank is good for about 800hp,and the rods/pistons have been changed in mine...eagle rods and wiseco +.030'' blower pistons...currently running 5lbs and want to go for 7lbs...if you dont run wide open for hours on end,id say go for it
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

my 496ho would be stock other than my cmi's i have on it. and when we run hard its only for 2 or so miles at a time, we usually cruise at 40mph or so. if i were to put pistons and a crank in it, i would'nt have any doubt. thats why ive been told 3.5 lbs. would be o.k with stock bottom end. sounds like you have a sweet set up. thanks for the reply.