Engine Removal? >

Engine Removal?

Notices

Engine Removal?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal?

Hey guys, getting ready to pull the motor for some upgrades as well as to replace the gimbal ring. I was wondering if anyone has any good resources/videos/etc....

I purchased the seloc manual, but for whatever reason there are no pictures and the steps are somewhat unambiguous.

Do I need to do any winterizing for the motor or drive since they are going to be off the boat for work?

How do you get to the gimbal ring after the motor is pulled, are there other things that need to be removed as well?

Any tips, advice, tricks, or comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm good working on cars, the boat thing is just still new to me.

Thanks,

Seth
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on youtube. There's all kinds of vids. This one has an Alpha drive which you put in forward to remove. Others you don't have to. Have no idea what your working on. That info always helps!
http://youtu.be/VB4h8GVTuys

You replacing the gimble ring or gimble bearing? Either way there's videos on all that stuff on there. Sit down and watch a bunch of the vids and you'll figure it out pretty easy.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

gen VI 502ci and bravo one, sorry lol.

Seth
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Just pulled that same motor out of my fountain yesterday I should have recorded it. As far as tips I can say if the engine isn't able to come straight out your gonna want one of those crank things that let u pull the motor out on an angle also take pretty much everything out of the way you think may get in the way cause once you get it up you really don't want to put it back down, take your Time and watch for things getting caught. I had mine pulled yesterday in 2 hours
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, great info so far, and thanks to Trash for the PM.

I will be needing to take apart the transom assembly to send my gimbal ring off to JR marine...any tips on this process and also does anyone know roughly where a good place is to buy all the seals/bushings/etc... that I will need?

Head gaskets, intake gaskets, transom assembly, exhaust? Bueller?

Thanks,

Seth
Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had good luck getting the merc parts from this place. They have all the parts diagrams on their site.
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/cat...nder,3172.aspx

Nappa auto carries a lot of the marine engine gaskets. You can also get them from Jegs or Summit.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

dont waste your money on manuals and how to videos. slide the drive off and on a convincer unbolt the mounts from the stringer and the 2 3/4 bolts from the bell housing down into the transom assembly. power, ground, fuel line, water hose from transom, and merc plug and she comes straight out the top. pulled a bunch of those. alot easier than a 27 fountain for sure
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88bullet
dont waste your money on manuals and how to videos. slide the drive off and on a convincer unbolt the mounts from the stringer and the 2 3/4 bolts from the bell housing down into the transom assembly. power, ground, fuel line, water hose from transom, and merc plug and she comes straight out the top. pulled a bunch of those. alot easier than a 27 fountain for sure
So unbolt the mount from the stringer or unbolt the engine from the mount?

Thanks

Seth
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

i found it easier to unbolt from the stringers. it makes it a little easier when reinstalling the engine too. bolts are way easier to put in
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree with Bullet Its almost as quick removing the engine as it is pulling the drive. The only thing left out are trim sender wires (2) mercathode wires (2) and drive oil reservoir hose if equipped. Taking the bolts out of the stringers makes it easier to line up the gimble on reassembly. Randy