525 rocker install/set. ? >

525 rocker install/set. ?

Notices

525 rocker install/set. ?

Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 525 rocker install/set. ?

Need a little more help here. Got a dilema. Rockers are on but not tight. No. 1 cyl, is TDC, aligned with the mark on balancer.
Piston is all the way to the top. At this point ALL the valves are closed. ROckers are just laying on the top/ Starboard valve cover. (left side as I look back to the motor, goes in it's spot, no problem, (just to make sure all wires etc, are in the right place) Port cover, (right side of the motor facing to the rear) is hung up on no. 3 or 5 rocker. It won't seat all the way down like the other side. I assume, once the rockers are tighten down, cover will slide in place. Right ?? Then, how do I adjust and how much I tighten down the rocker nuts, and what do I do with those little inserts on top that has an ellen wrench socket? No. 1 cyl, I tighten the top not untill rocker is snug, one more 1/4 turn. Then I will totate the harmonic balancer. But how far,? what is the best way to know that No. 8 is in TDC now?. Etc. going with the fireing order. Thx
P
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case you aren't already aware of this, a lot of rocker arms hit the valve coves where the valve cover bolt to the head . They hit on the starboard side rear top and port side front top. All the factory gold crane rocker equipped engines have 2 modified rockers for that reason.
Check to make sure they aren't hitting there
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

The gold anodizing will be visibly missing from the two "altered" rockers.
If they are not in the proper positions, the rockers WILL hit the valve covers.

MC
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by billy boats
Just in case you aren't already aware of this, a lot of rocker arms hit the valve coves where the valve cover bolt to the head . They hit on the starboard side rear top and port side front top. All the factory gold crane rocker equipped engines have 2 modified rockers for that reason.
Thanks and no, I didn't know that. All my rockers are identical, and all the rockers have fully gold color.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Number 1 and number 8 intake rockers need a 3/16th in radius ground off the top left corner when holding the rocker arm with the roller tip pointing down looking at the top surface of the arm. As for adjusting set the balancer on zero with cyl #1 in firing position. Adjust both valves on #1 cyl. Assuming you have hydraulic lifters remove all the play and then give it 3/4-1 more turn down. Then lock the allen set screw down. Be sure the allen set screw is backed off far enough as to not interfere when making your adjustment before locking it down. Now with #1 adjusted turn the crank 1/4 turn and make the adjustments to both valves on the next cyl in the firing order. Continue following the firing order and turning the crank 1/4 turn each time. Be sure when you start #1 is in firing position and not 360 degrees off. Both valves should be closed.

Last edited by picklenjim; 09-24-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by billy boats
That is only true for the older Crane Gold rockers and does not apply to the newer style rockers on 525EFI's. The newer style already has radiused corners that will not hit the baffles.

Paradox, is your intake manifold already bolted down???? It is easier to adjust the valves/rocker arms with the intake off. You can see exactly when you are at zero lash and don't have to go by feel.

Directions from Crane's website

For hydraulic lifter camshaft valve adjustment, turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation until the exhaust lifter
on the cylinder that you’re adjusting starts to move up, then adjust the intake valve on that cylinder to zero lash with
no preload, then 1/2 to 1 full turn more. Turn the engine over again until the intake lifter has come to full lift and then is
almost all the way back down. Now, set the exhaust valve to zero lash, then 1/2 to 1 full turn more. Continue the above
procedure for each cylinder until all valves are adjusted the same.

As far as the Allen lock. Here is how I do it. I set the rockers to 1/2 turn past zero lash and then tighten the allen set screw down. Then I give the rocker another 1/8 turn with a wrench while still holding the allen set screw. The allen set screw keeps the rocker set where you adjust it.

Last edited by Griff; 09-25-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff. I can see I f'd up a bit. Intake is all in and bolted, sealed. Looks like one of the push rods, is to high. It's in the hole of the lifter, I can see it through the oil port. Is it possible that the lifter is up? or broken inside.?(I know they are roller lifters but are they hydraulic in the 525?) Can the lifter be too high? It does move up and down when I turn the balancer.
I am pretty sure that I am starting with TDC on cyl. 1. The valves are closed. and they open as I start turning.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
I am pretty sure that I am starting with TDC on cyl. 1. The valves are closed. and they open as I start turning.
Sound like your 360 degrees off from where you should start (1 revolution of the balancer)if the intake valve starts opening when you start turning the crank. With the balancer set on "0" THE EXHAUST VALVE SHOULD NOT START TO OPEN UNTIL YOU TURN THE BALANCER/CRANK 1/2 TURN. Cyl only fires every other time that the piston comes to the top so you must be on the correct revolution to start with.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Sound like your 360 degrees off from where you should start (1 revolution of the balancer)if the intake valve starts opening when you start turning the crank. With the balancer set on "0" THE EXHAUST VALVE SHOULD NOT START TO OPEN UNTIL YOU TURN THE BALANCER/CRANK 1/2 TURN. Cyl only fires every other time that the piston comes to the top so you must be on the correct revolution to start with.
Thanks. The valve starts openning about half turn.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Thanks Griff. I can see I f'd up a bit. Intake is all in and bolted, sealed. Looks like one of the push rods, is to high. It's in the hole of the lifter, I can see it through the oil port. Is it possible that the lifter is up? or broken inside.?(I know they are roller lifters but are they hydraulic in the 525?) Can the lifter be too high? It does move up and down when I turn the balancer.
It can still be done with the intake on. It is just easier for somebody without experience to see zero lash as well as feel it.

Are you sure you got the correct intake or exhaust pushrod in the correct location???? They are different lengths.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.