Messed up speed-o >

Messed up speed-o

Notices

Messed up speed-o

Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Messed up speed-o

A friend recently got a salt water 2000 Fountain 32 and the speed-o doesnt work for squat. It shows approximately 40 mph regardless of your real speed and yes he realizes it is just a wish-meter, but he would like to have it at least work alittle. He wants to keep this one because it has Fountain written on it. I have tried squirting WD-40 in it and that did loosen it up some, but it still doesnt work very well. Any ideas on how to get it operating better besides replacing it? Also, why does Fountain run their own lines to the speedo head. Both low pickup drives have lines running from them to a Tee and then a single line to the speed-o head. Just for grins, I did disconnect the lines and blow compressed air thru them back to the drives, then connected a water hose to the line and back flushed them. Nothing came out with good water flow. I did the same thing to the drives with nothing coming out. Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the peto tube in the pickup is probibally pluged,used to happen to a boat i had before i went with a gps speedo.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Or the speedo itself is just stuck/corroded/junk. Salt will work its way up to the speedo head. Livorsi might rebuild it for you and keep the Fountain logo. Maybe take the speedo out and pour some marvel mystery oil in there and let it soak. My guess is if you took the line off the back of the speedo and its still stuck at 40mph, the problem is in the speedo itself.

I used to have a Fountain liquid filled speedo. That thing was pretty accurate compared to my GPS plotter speed. Within like 2mph or so.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

good call joe,marvel mystery oil is the bomb!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
good call joe,marvel mystery oil is the bomb!
I think he would be pleasantly surprised with MMO.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I used to have a Fountain liquid filled speedo. That thing was pretty accurate compared to my GPS plotter speed. Within like 2mph or so.
Mine fountain is near dead on also, amazes me.

The Monster speedo in my 36 outlaw I could make read 98 mph by tucking the drives when wide open, only worked on the girls hahah
Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Or the speedo itself is just stuck/corroded/junk. Salt will work its way up to the speedo head. Livorsi might rebuild it for you and keep the Fountain logo. Maybe take the speedo out and pour some marvel mystery oil in there and let it soak. My guess is if you took the line off the back of the speedo and its still stuck at 40mph, the problem is in the speedo itself.

You are right...we pulled the line off and it was still reading 40. I gave it a shot of WD-40 and it finally went down, but still doesnt read good. I did blow out the lines and the drive holes with compressed air and nothing camee out with the air free flowing. I will pull it out and try the MMO and if needed, send it in to see if they can fix it. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Mine fountain is near dead on also, amazes me.

The Monster speedo in my 36 outlaw I could make read 98 mph by tucking the drives when wide open, only worked on the girls hahah
Well, Reggie knew what he was doing. He didnt need any help from a erroneous speedo to impress the competition. Baja, well.......