Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Did the valve break twice in the same spot? Same cylinder bank? Cold water on a glowing hot exhaust valve will take it out.

Of course too lean, not enough timing, can also take out exhaust valves, but normally it takes out more than 1 valve. Id take a close look at the manifolds/tails for leaks. Esp in saltwater.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;3787841]Did the valve break twice in the same spot? Same cylinder bank? Cold water on a glowing hot exhaust valve will take it out.

Of course too lean, not enough timing, can also take out exhaust valves, but normally it takes out more than 1 valve. Id take a close look at the manifolds/tails for leaks. Esp the first time it was #2 this time it was #3, one thing were also thinking it was the machine shop that did the head work, this last time we orderd and took to someone else to have ferra valves put in!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

If they are not inconel then it is plain old valve failure, regular valves are a 50/50 shot after 400hp period, if it was inconbel then start looking for other issues, it normally takes a lot to hurt one even with extreme lean/heat, inconel usually dont break at the stem..

This was one of my valves this summer when I had a fuel issue at went lean, this IS INCONEL, it took abuse but did not break, thats why you run them..a little more time it would have gave, I got lucky...

Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I will run inconel in any HP engine .....
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
one thing were also thinking it was the machine shop that did the head work, this last time we orderd and took to someone else to have ferra valves put in!
Keep in mind that just because they are Ferea they might not be inconel. Ferea offers several grades of valves.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep, make sure tbey are for sure INCONEL
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

I dont believe Ferrea calls them "inconel". I believe they are called "super alloy" and supposedly better and lighter than a std inconel valve. I believe "inconel" was a Manley label.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I dont believe Ferrea calls them "inconel". I believe they are called "super alloy" and supposedly better and lighter than a std inconel valve. I believe "inconel" was a Manley label.
Correct. "Inconel" is not a Manley patented term, but is simply a trade name for a particular stainless steel alloy that has excellent high heat strength. I think it was developed for aircraft jet turbines, particularly the vanes. I have heard good things about Ferrea's valves too - just make sure they are the super alloy and not a lesser material. FWIW, I had Ferrea exhaust valves in my previous 454, and I am pretty sure they were not the super alloys, and it lived. I have a pretty decent set of REV valves in my 489 right now. However, both of these engines were set up pretty rich, and I guess I was lucky to have never had a fuel pump start to let go, or a fuel restriction, or just a bad tank of fuel. As Full Force discovered, all it takes is one little episode that can lead to disaster and ruin an $8K+ motor. Isn't boating relaxing?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Registered

The other thing also is you want to use a quality valve seat, and stay away from fancy multi angle valve jobs that have narrow seat widths. You want to keep the seat cut on the wide side , because that is where the exhaust valve gets its cooling from.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ad
Originally Posted by Budman II
Correct. "Inconel" is not a Manley patented term, but is simply a trade name for a particular stainless steel alloy that has excellent high heat strength. I think it was developed for aircraft jet turbines, particularly the vanes. I have heard good things about Ferrea's valves too - just make sure they are the super alloy and not a lesser material. FWIW, I had Ferrea exhaust valves in my previous 454, and I am pretty sure they were not the super alloys, and it lived. I have a pretty decent set of REV valves in my 489 right now. However, both of these engines were set up pretty rich, and I guess I was lucky to have never had a fuel pump start to let go, or a fuel restriction, or just a bad tank of fuel. As Full Force discovered, all it takes is one little episode that can lead to disaster and ruin an $8K+ motor. Isn't boating relaxing?
Right.... I also want to point out before I had inconel I had 2 fails where both did what the poster stated...broke ate base...one singed piston and flew out exhaust....no big deal....other one took out Liston and cracked cylinder wall.... really inconel is not cheap...but its cheaper then building engines... luckily I do my own work.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.