Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to get rid of porpus 38 Cig? >

How to get rid of porpus 38 Cig?

Notices

How to get rid of porpus 38 Cig?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to get rid of porpus 38 Cig?

I'm getting quite a bit of porpusing at most speeds.It rides good between 38-44mph trim no more than 2-3 on the indicators and 60-70mph with trim as high as about 9 where i start loosing speed.Anywhere between i can run 1 or less on trim and when full fuel i'm running the tabs.Boats a '92 Top Gun HP500, TRS, 26pitch 4 blade turning out.I also boat on the Illinois river which is usually flat as glass which im sure doesnt help.Looking for advice since i havent had the boat long and quite a bit different from my previous 29 PowerQuest.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

post it in the cig forum. or pm cig92. he knew how to get rid of the hop in his brothers 92 trs top gun
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Thanks. Moved it. And yes tabs solve it. But I hate to do it. Burning more fuel and killing my speed. I was just wondering if swapping my drives would give me more stern lift or maybe 5 blade props? The TRS's arent gunna be hanging around forever but until that day, I was hoping to come up with something fairly simple.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
Thanks. Moved it. And yes tabs solve it. But I hate to do it. Burning more fuel and killing my speed. I was just wondering if swapping my drives would give me more stern lift or maybe 5 blade props? The TRS's arent gunna be hanging around forever but until that day, I was hoping to come up with something fairly simple.
Drives spinning out IS stern lifting, the gun has a notched transom and thats one reason why they do that from what I am told, my buddy went from a mistress to a gun and said they are totally different like that...

I also hear 42's do it too...

running tab is probably only way to help it, or keep drives in a tad during cruising, I rarely use my tabs.. but the mistress rides more level even though it too will porpoise way more then my 32 Baja did..
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Try different props. My TRS boat porpoised bad with hydromotives spinning in.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Registered

swapping the drives and spinning them in will help with a notched transom..you will loose somw handling tho..what part of the illinois river? i somtimes to to where the kankee and desplanes river meet by the big sand bar..mostly im in moris if i go..
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a friend that solved this problem with stern lifting props from b-blades. I believe he tested rev 4s and hydro motives. Both stopped the porpoise, but only one gave him all around better numbers.

He is not on oso but I'll try to call him tomorrow for you.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Suprised to hear this, usually it happens on Bravo Guns. The Trs has the balance the boat was designed for. Bblades can help with the porpus. The TRS's were cut with a very conservative, actually too long almost X dimension. Prop technology has come along way. What you need to do is record speed, tab and RPM for everything. Send the list to Brett at Bblades and he will help you. Tab eats alot of Top Gun Speed, no doubt. So this would help with both fuel economy, cruise speed.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone.Lots of good advice.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
swapping the drives and spinning them in will help with a notched transom..you will loose somw handling tho..what part of the illinois river? i somtimes to to where the kankee and desplanes river meet by the big sand bar..mostly im in moris if i go..
Boat out of the Spring Valley Boat Club. I usually put in at the Basin a couple times a year but never found time this year for whatever reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.