will this drain the whole block? BBC >

will this drain the whole block? BBC

Notices

will this drain the whole block? BBC

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by proboat-wes
why for the life of me do i see these same questions year after year?you spend a small fortune on your boat,then want to winterize it yourself without any knowledge of how to do it correctly..then you ask people on the internet that you dont know how to do it.spend the small amount of money with a reputable shop to do it right,if they dont ,there insurance will take care of the problem..your insurance as a boat owner will NOT cover freeze damage jus tmy 2 cents....
I actually don't believe that a repair shop's insurance would cover anything. Who is to say that after they winterize you didn't go home and run it again?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't remove the headers. Borrow the 10 year old neighbor kid and show him what to do. You'd be amazed how well they fit in there! (Yes, I have had to stoop to this.)

And as has already been said, pulling the plug on one side will not drain all the water out of the block.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
I actually don't believe that a repair shop's insurance would cover anything. Who is to say that after they winterize you didn't go home and run it again?
Any reputable marina will cover freeze damage to a boat they winterize. How do we prevent somebody from running the boat after it's winterized? Most of us remove all of the plugs and place them in a bag tied to the steering wheel. We then attach a tag stating that the engine has been winterized / disabled and it must not be run until a qualified marine mechanic has replaced all of the plugs and hoses. If you try to start the thing, all you'll get it a shower.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
I agree that it is frustrating this time of year, the winterization and upgrade questions....however, if they are going to learn they have to start somewhere right? We all did.

BTW, I know of two people that have winterized improperly, and were both covered by insurance. One was a 3 year old formula. Insurance does cover stupidity
Is that all we gotta do to get new engines???? oops....
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I took my shop vac and vacuumed the hoses dry as well then filled them with Anti freeze. you cant be sitting up worrying when its 20 below. took one sea pump home, took out the thermostats, changed the oil, new filters everywhere and I may pull the drives and spruce them up in a nice heated environment. Shrink wrap and plane tickets next. see ya in the spring !
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Is that all we gotta do to get new engines???? oops....
Not a bad idea huh? The underwriters are smarter than you think however. My friend that cracked both blocks, the insurance had the dealer tear down both engines for internal inspection, also took them til mid July to pay out and get the boat going again after it was discovered in may
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Not a bad idea huh? The underwriters are smarter than you think however. My friend that cracked both blocks, the insurance had the dealer tear down both engines for internal inspection, also took them til mid July to pay out and get the boat going again after it was discovered in may
Oh I know it too well, lots of friends on boat buisness, not easy to get stuff past most companys, others dont even ask and just cut a check... thatsb rare though!!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the front of the motor is easily accessable you can pull off the circulating pump (4 bolts) or crossover and feed a piece of small plastic tubing down through the holes to the bottom of the jackets and siphon it out. Then put the pump/crossover back on, remove the thermostat housing and fill to the top with 50/50 antifreeze mix. Done.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Any reputable marina will cover freeze damage to a boat they winterize. How do we prevent somebody from running the boat after it's winterized? Most of us remove all of the plugs and place them in a bag tied to the steering wheel. We then attach a tag stating that the engine has been winterized / disabled and it must not be run until a qualified marine mechanic has replaced all of the plugs and hoses. If you try to start the thing, all you'll get it a shower.
Never leave the plugs out, unless those piece of crap plastic plugs. No plug in cast block or manifold and you will have to tap it out in the spring. They rust real bad.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
I can't figure out why boat manufacturers don't think of this when building boats. Part of building a good boat ought to include remote drains and flush fittings. Also oil drain hoses should be standard equipment. A few cheap parts could increase owners enjoyment of their product. On my ski nautique, I take the time to install brass valves in all the drains(save the knock sensor.). I can turn the valves and drain the block in less than a minute.
In a tight twin you could put a brass nipple fitting in the block and run a rubber hose to a valve drain. Would be well worth a few minutes to do it.
I was going to do the same thing except every once in a while I get some scale build up and I have to clean it out before the water will drain. So I'm relegated to pulling the plugs, just glad I only have one motor to deal with..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.