Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stereo advice: help me piece together a GOOD system! >

Stereo advice: help me piece together a GOOD system!

Notices

Stereo advice: help me piece together a GOOD system!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL makes great subs and amps.

Exile audio make some killer marine
equipment. http://exileaudio.com/store/index.ph...ubwoofers.html

The wakeboard boats have some killer systems in them. A 3000 watt system is nothing to these guys. I know the boat layouts are different, but the idea is the same. Open air environment + a cabin. Depends if you are after sound while you are under way or while chilling at anchor. Look in www.themalibucrew.com stereo section. It will give you some good info.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

or What about this for sub and amp set-up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-KICKER-CAR...cd3a8b&vxp=mtr
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
or What about this for sub and amp set-up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-KICKER-CAR...cd3a8b&vxp=mtr
IMO that is not enough amp for those subs, and that wiring kit is garbage

I'll get you more info tonight
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe27baja
I agree on the kicker woofers however I would stay clear of the L 7 & L5s because they require a lot of power to drive and they are pretty expensive too. you may want to look into the kicker comp line as they are real efficient with power and are very durable.
you said you were on a tight budget so I think I can help you out
on your amplifiers you need to stay with a Class D amp because they have a regulated power supply and do not pull a lot of amperage from your alternator / batteries. planet audio has a D class 5000 watt amp that will beat the hell out of 4 12's and do it all day long without overheating and like I said they're very easy on your batteries and alternators.... for about $165 bucks
I have for Kicker Comp 12's , 8 rockford fosgate marine 8s ,and 4 6 1/2s , and 4 soft dome tweeters on a planet audio 5000 and 2 planet audio 4 channel 2400 watt.... and my setup is about as nasty as it gets.

as far as sealed or ported enclosure on the water I stay with sealed.. I'm just not a fan of a ported enclosure that is tuned to drop a bunch of low bass in an open area. I would much rather a sealed enclosure that hits all the notes.... Just my thoughts.

Good advice, I agree with most of it. However if you have the power to push the L7 solos they can't be beat IMO.

A proper tuned port can still deliver rich bass, and used less power to do so. My $4000 home speakers are in ported boxes prob is most people guess with porting, rather than using a proven set up designed for the speaker. Kicker includes ported box specs, and if you follow them you will have great range, tight bass, and a more efficient set up than sealed
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Good advice, I agree with most of it. However if you have the power to push the L7 solos they can't be beat IMO.

A proper tuned port can still deliver rich bass, and used less power to do so. My $4000 home speakers are in ported boxes prob is most people guess with porting, rather than using a proven set up designed for the speaker. Kicker includes ported box specs, and if you follow them you will have great range, tight bass, and a more efficient set up than sealed
I love the L 5 & L 7s if you have an assload of power to push them... but he started it all off by saying he was on a tight budget and I think I gave him the best advice possible.
and this is just "in my opinion" I love ported enclosures in a closed room or car but in a boat /open top I just do not care for them at all.... but everyone ears are different.
at least he's getting some really good advice from everyone
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Ok, my budget is a little flexible. lol
I know its an oxy-moron, but looking for the most power at a reasonable cost.
IE if something is just as good as JL for subs, but costs less, I'll take it!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Rambocj7;3793605]Ok, my budget is a little flexible. lol
I know its an oxy-moron, but looking for the most power at a reasonable cost.
IE if something is just as good as JL for subs, but costs less, I'll take it!

Kicker
Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered

Kicker it is!
What about amps to power a pair of 12"L7?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

How about this for an amp?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ONX11500D.aspx
Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
Kicker it is!
What about amps to power a pair of 12"L7?
Good choice going with at least 12s.
Rockford's 1500.1bd is high on my list. I use it with 2 L7 15's with solid sound.
A well designed box can turn boom into BOOM so dont cheap out there.

If you can, listen to the L7 with various amps. Each pairing will sound different.
To my ears JL is very tight and controlled (what they are known for) but in marine = too quiet without LOTS of head room.
Kicker amps are cheaper, can tend to get hot and are very sloppy but that sloppy can yeild a very loud, almost tollerable sound in the open air enviroment.
Rockford gets loud but maintains control and is more durable. I have never had it shut down, especially with a 12v fan blowing over the fins.

ARC KAR 1200.1 would be a great choice as well. A little more $$ but more efficient and solid with good sound.

Almost better than playing louder than someone is playing LONGER. dont be the d-bag that has to run his motors to keep the stereo going.
3-4 good 31 series deep cycle batteries (or 4D's) and a charger adequate to keep them charged. (charge full after every use)
Check out Kinetk or Iota power supplies instead of a marine charger.

I like the mid level Alpine HU with 3 sets of pre-outs

Square inches generally rule, whether in engines, subs or the midrange.
RF 8" are solid performers.
WetSounds has probably the most powerful 6.5 short of going with a compression horn set-up.

Atleast one run of 1/0 wire will be needed to minimize resistance. check out KnuKonceptz if you are doing it yourself.

Dont mess with the old stuff, pull it out nicely and put the packge on craigs list for $200 and sell at 125-150. Some guy redoing a pontoon or runabout will eat it up.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 10-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.