Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What performance ignition does everyone run? >

What performance ignition does everyone run?

Notices

What performance ignition does everyone run?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
I also run DUI's unless you are supercharging or running crazy RPM's, I honestly don't get the need for fancy boxes and such. A stand alone distributor is all you need. I think they are pretty trick little pieces. The post above is the first problem I've heard with them, that is an unfortunate case I'd guess and a real bummer! I originally put an MSD on it that promptly died, though I've always had good luck with MSD's on my performance cars.
My friend runs them he has goo luck, but I am pretty sure they have been sold to someone , the unsecured shaft was un excusable they gave me a new shaft but when I took the motor apart at seasons end 3 pistons had melted edges from detonation, the other motor with another DUI was fine.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drinkin fountian
I've got a MSD box that is going out and was told that if I plan to run MSD I should always carry a spare because they ALWAYS go out. Marine box or not they can't handle boating. He suggested that I just go back to the original merc. distr. set-up. Im running a 502 and gonna put a blower, probably a 10-71with just 8psi boost, on it. Nothing crazy but I want plenty of room for power improvements later. I was wondering what most of you run?
I have run with Daytona Sensor programable box and coil with merc distributor. What i have like is they have already some merc ing map like the 525sc, 600sc and 800sc also few other map.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Anybody tried the new Mallory Firestorm yet? My MSD 6M went and replaced it with another 6M, I'm just a little nervous about it's reliability. I was using the MSD start retard box with the 6M, the motor didn't run for crap sent them both back to MSD and they said they were both fine. Makes me question MSD even more.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by shaun harrington
My friend runs them he has goo luck, but I am pretty sure they have been sold to someone , the unsecured shaft was un excusable they gave me a new shaft but when I took the motor apart at seasons end 3 pistons had melted edges from detonation, the other motor with another DUI was fine.
I agree that's pretty bad, hopfully it was an isolated incident, which of course, doesn't make you feel any better about it. A bummer, no doubt about it.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Got sick of burnt up MSD marine boxes, so was my buddy. We both made the switch to the Crane CD digital boxes. Summit sells them for 249.99, but amazon has them for 175.00 shipped. So far so good. Both of us running 800HP blower engines in our boats. Wiring it in when switching from the MSD box is pretty easy. We are running them with MSD billet distributors, and locked timing.

Take a look at the internals on the MSD, and the Crane. These are the boxes we are running.

http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Cams-600...ords=6000-6440
Attached Thumbnails What performance ignition does everyone run?-msd%2520hi-6%2520inside2.jpg   What performance ignition does everyone run?-cd1inside.jpg  

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 10-16-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Got sick of burnt up MSD marine boxes, so was my buddy. We both made the switch to the Crane CD digital boxes. Summit sells them for 249.99, but amazon has them for 175.00 shipped. So far so good. Both of us running 800HP blower engines in our boats. Wiring it in when switching from the MSD box is pretty easy. We are running them with MSD billet distributors, and locked timing.

Take a look at the internals on the MSD, and the Crane. These are the boxes we are running.

http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Cams-600...ords=6000-6440
So how are the MSD distributors working out
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
So how are the MSD distributors working out
Good. Mine are older, two seasons ago sent them back to msd for rebuilds. They are notorious for Rusting inside. Got them back, like brand new, and coated the internals with CRC corrosion inhibitor . Still lookin good under the cap. No more corrosion.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by supermx96
I have run with Daytona Sensor programable box and coil with merc distributor. What i have like is they have already some merc ing map like the 525sc, 600sc and 800sc also few other map.
The Daytona Sensor Marine, box is the way to go! The marine unit comes with a coil and you can either use a dial in curve or get the usb cable and program your own.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
The Daytona Sensor Marine, box is the way to go! The marine unit comes with a coil and you can either use a dial in curve or get the usb cable and program your own.
No doubt. Really really wanted to get a pair I them, but my motor build was going over budget. But some very cool stuff there. I think those guys designed the crane boxes years ago didn't they Mark??
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

so you can run the Daytona box with the MSD dist. where can you get the Daytona box, direct or other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.