Beating a dead horse with oil!

Notices

Beating a dead horse with oil!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
DRP
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating a dead horse with oil!

Looking for some advice and recommendations...
1-Just got done freshening my blower motor and want the best for it! I have been reading all the oil threads and see that amsoil, Mobil v twin, merc and redline are the best but don't know if the oil companies have changed the formulas lately? If I am going to be changing in 10 hr intervals that won't be run hard (hardly in boost), am I wasting my money on these oils? If so, what are the quality oils that are less expensive?
2-What is a good layup oil with the anti corrosion for the winter? This oil will only be in there for the winter (put in the fall and taken back out in spring, not to be used for boating).

I am not looking to pinch penny's! If the $7-$12 a quart oil is what I need, then that is what I will use. I am just thinking that as easy as the boat will be run in the 10hr oil change interval will the above oils still be a must or will something that is half the price like VR1 suffice?

Thanks in advance and SORRY to start another oil thread!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

10 hour interval oil changes is way overkill IMO. There should be no reason you you can't go at least 20-25hrs.
Also, I see no reason to use a winter lay up oil. Just change it at the end of the season with what you normally run and change it after 20-25hrs in the Spring.

I have talked to John at the Bravo Shop about the NEO Oils and to several people running NEO and they are all extremely happy with it.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:23 PM
DRP
Registered

I live in the Midwest and the boat isn't in climate controlled storage for the winter so the oil can get contaminated with moisture, that is why I want a layup oil. I would feel more comfortable running a whole season (20-25hrs) on a very good quality oil without a change before I would run the oil it was stored in. I just think oil is cheap insurance compared to the cost of an engine...that is why I would rather change it more often.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Valvoline vr1 racing full syn 20/50. Never had any issues, and it is a off road oil spot still retains the high ppm zinc count that most car oils have lost to protect converters.

I also work for Ashland oil, parent company of Valvoline, so my opinion is biased

I also think your 10 hr interval is a waste, instead of trying to save money on oil so you can change it every 10 hrs, go with a good oil and use it for 25. Change the filter at 12.5 if it makes you feel better

Keep in mind you will have oil trapped in the remote lines, cooler, and bottom of the pan after an oil dump. So if you use a sub par oil for winter storage you will have to change it twice in the spring to get it all out
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

I live in the Midwest too, I change the oil run it till it hot and put it away with fresh oil. I run it in the spring for 25 hours. Any moisture in the oil (which shouldn't be much) with burn off within minutes in the spring. But if that's what you are comfortable with, that certainly isn't an issue. I run Valvoline VR1 SAE 30 personally I don't get the dual weight oil, unless you run in real cold weather, and at 50 weight, it seemed like I was running unreasonably high oil pressure.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad-Influence
I live in the Midwest and the boat isn't in climate controlled storage for the winter so the oil can get contaminated with moisture, that is why I want a layup oil. I would feel more comfortable running a whole season (20-25hrs) on a very good quality oil without a change before I would run the oil it was stored in. I just think oil is cheap insurance compared to the cost of an engine...that is why I would rather change it more often.
That condensation moisture is no different than what an engine will see when running and shut down to cool off. Any moisture is extremely minimal and will evaporate as soon as the oil gets up to temp.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 AM
DRP
Registered

I am not trying to cheap out on oil, just wondering if using the topend oils like Mobil and amsoil is a waste if changing after 10hrs? I only average about 25hrs a year so I feel I should change half way through the season...that's the reason for the short/10hr oil change interval. I didn't think having the oil in there 6 months was safe or am I better with a topend oil for the whole season? Also, I will b changing no matter what in the fall and running the new oil to temp to get the new oil through the system. I was wondering if one of the diesel oils like Rotella or Delvac has good corrosion protection for layup? I ask because I can get it for $12 a gallon by me. For that price, if it had the protection, I wouldn't think twice about putting that in for the winter then changing back to an oil like denominator. I know I'm over thinking this, but just want the best for the motor without wasting good oil or money!
Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2005 525's and use Merc 25W-40 every 25hrs. No mech problems of any kind in 350 hrs. Engines run great. Do several poker runs a year. Just switched to the semi syn Merc 25W-40 this year. I believe in using an oil specifically designed for marine use.