Engine Tuning >

Engine Tuning

Notices

Engine Tuning

Old 07-14-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Tuning

I would like to know if anyone knows of anyone who is good at setting up carbs?
I have Nickerson stage5 carbs on my normally asperated 454's.
I live in the Chicago region but would be willing to take the boat
anywhere in the midwest.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2002, 07:24 AM
Registered

Default carburation

35Lightning,
Dont understand your post, what is it you need? To have your carbs rebuilt or to just have them fine tuned?If rebuilding is the answer I would strongly say send them back to Nickerson, he has a good reputation for building carbs, if its just to have them fine tuned Im sure that there is a lot of quality wrench=heads out there or good performance dealerships that could get your boat running right!
By the way, get ahold of wette-vette and see if he,. or if he knows someone that is good with fine-tuning, Hes an OSO member and lives in Laporte.
Hope this helps you!!
Regards,
eliminator219: D
Old 07-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Registered

Default Carbs

eliminator219,

Carbs are mounted and I'm running the boat.
What I'm looking for is someone who can setup my carbs
to my engine:
Setup four corner idle and properly jet .

Dennis
Old 07-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are the carbs set up for?

I have fine tuned many carbs, but if it is way off your best bet is going to be to get on the phone with Dean Nickerson and give him the carb numbers and see what he suggests. Describe some of the problems you are having and maybe we can meet in Mich. City if I think it is just a mild "tuning" issue. Did you get the carbs from Nickerson or from a buddy? The key here is what they are set up for. Post some of the problems and engine specs for us to review and then the next step can be taken. Worst case will be the carbs will need to be sent to Dean for recalibration which is costly, but they will work very well. I am running a stage 5 Nickerson 1050 on my boat and it worked great right out of the box. I had a stage 5 850 and it took some effort to get it right. At any rate Dean has always been very helpful. Once I hear your problems I will let you know if I would be of any assistance to you.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:01 AM
Registered

Question Carbs

WETTE VETTE

Carbs are setup by Nickerson for my engines:
800's - Primary 78 Secondary 88 ;same jets as before Stage5
454 Mags,
9.6:1 +30 - balanced
Crane roller,intake 587 exhaust 610
Timing at 10deg initial
Edelbrock Victor Jr. port matched
Stainless long riser exhaust
Etc etc,,,,No corners turned on setup.
Engines start and run fine - 5500RPM
Pulled plugs(NGK BR6FS)and are lean.
It's really a mild "tuning" issue with setting 4corner idle
and jets.
I keep the "White Lightning" in Portage but I would gladly meet up with you wherever you like.
Dennis

Last edited by StrikinLightnin; 07-19-2002 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:51 AM
Registered

Default Helping Hand!

WetteVette,
Glad to see that you are back on the board, missed your posts. I asked about you and was told you were off getting a new computer or something..Anyway, welcome back!!
Hope you can help or suggest someone for this member..
eliminator219
Old 07-19-2002, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightning,
I am glad to hear your carbs were built for your motors. From what you said the motors run well from idle to WOT, and the lack of color on the plugs is indicating a lean condition. One thing I see is that you are running pretty HOT spark plugs and your compression is getting to the high end of the pump gas spectrum for iron heads. Before fattening up the carb try running a set of NGKR5673-8 spark plugs in one or both of your motors. This plug is a V-power NGK racing plug and is slightly colder than what you are running now. That is the plug I ran in a similar motor to yours and it works well in stock Chev. rect port heads like that on the 454 Mag. Running a colder plug should pull heat from the combustion chamber faster which could will give you a better plug reading and will help keep that 9.6:1 compression a little further away from detonation. I would think the performance won't change, and your plugs will be more readable. If you run too cold of plug, say a -10, it would appear that you are running way rich. I would bet your jetting is correct and the plugs are just a bit to hot. What do you think? If you want to try it this weekend you can try a set of MR42T plugs which may be available at the marina. Don't bother with MR43T plugs because they are basically the same as what you are running now. Let us know the results.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:48 AM
Registered

Default Cooler Plugs

WETTE VETTE

Sounds like a good idea........
As I had mentioned,the carbs have the same jetting as before
the Stage5 setup.I kept the primaries stock and went up ten sizes on the secondaries.This is what CP marine had suggested. Any increase in jet size and the boat would bog
out of the hole.The plugs always were a little lean looking.
I thought that maybe it was difficult to get a good plug reading with the formulated gas that is available.I have run R43T plugs until this year when I switched to NGK.I will go to the lower heat range spark plug and will let you know what happens.

I appreciate your response
Dennis

I just got off the phone with Summit Racing and the NGK R5673-8 will be delivered to my door on Tuesday

Last edited by StrikinLightnin; 07-20-2002 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what are the jet sizes now, and what is wrong? Are there power valves in your carbs. what reading?
JB
Old 07-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

35Lightning,

Call Bruce Wolff, his shop is in S.W. Michigan (about 15 miles north of Michigan/Indiana border) and only about 3 miles inland from Lake Michigan. He has a complete machine shop and about 98% of the work he does is for marine offshore engines and he builds A LOT of BIG CUBE offshore stuff. Anyway, he is an EXCELENT trouble shooter when it comes to carb tuning, timing, etc. When he was first starting out he used to work for John Ligenfelter assembling engines and going to the track with John and tuning John's engines for him, but that was years ago. A few weeks ago he fixed a Whipple charger problem that other performance shops couldn't fix...apprently the guy was practically ready to sell his boat because nobody could fix it and it still just wouldn't run right---he took it to Wolff and now he's happier than a pig in mud! I was at his shop about a week ago and he had 9 blower motors to do. One of the boats that was at his shop is called "NEXT", a red/white Cigarette with a pair of all aluminum Donovan blocks some where right around 650-700 cubes WITH blowers! That thing is BAD! Anyway, Wolff does a lot of dude's boats from the Indiana and Chicago area. Sounds like you're not too far from his shop. Scott Grady (41' Apache and a member on this board) ALWAYS has Wolff tune his carbs and time the engines. Wolff always seems to be fixing someone elses mess.

Wolff can be a little cocky at times, but he is extremely good at what he does! His shop number is 616-422-1090.

Mark/KAAMA

Quick Reply: Engine Tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.