Notices

Power Steering ISSUES!!!! help plz

Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering ISSUES!!!! help plz

2001 Baja Hammer
350ci
Removed motor months back. After reinstall, first time out forgot to fill power steering fluid. Was pushed away from dock and steering wheel would not turn...forced steering wheel and ended up breaking tooth off in helm.
Replaced Helm, filled steering fluid and perfect...no issues.....pump pulled fluid in, bubbled, swirled fluid and all topped off. Have taken it out many times since them and no issues.
Today i attempted to take her out, pushed away from dock and could not turn wheel. Got back to dock and checked steering fluid level which was extremely low (found leak at power steering pump fitting....literally just a tiny Infrequent drip but over multiple times out, it finally ran near dry).
Topped off pump and nothing! Wheel wont turn....the fluid in pump not even moving, bubbling, nothing at all.
Pulley spins fine, is tight and not wobbling.
Should I be able to steer outdrive even without pump assist? Called boat shop and he said i should be able to still turn drive without pump working correctly......... he said maybe the cable came out of helm but I can feel cable in sleeve trying to move when I turn wheel.... no fluid in resivor moving around...any suggestions? i

Last edited by jlbspd; 10-27-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can get to the steering valve at transom, loosen fittings on both inlet and outlet hoses and see if it turns-pumps fluid out one or the other.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can, disconnect the cable from the p/s ram on the transom. Then try to turn the wheel. This will tell you if either the cable is seized or something is wrong with the helm. After sitting a while, the cables will lock up in the steering tube at the gimble. You should be able to turn the wheel, if the cable is free, without the p/s working.
Eddie
Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Registered

I will try these suggestions thanks...
I found it odd that when i had to add fluid the first time ((after reinstalling motor and forgeting to add steering fluid)) the fluid was frothing, swirling and steering fluid being sucked into the power steering pump........this time there is no movement of fluid at all..... the symptoms are the same as the first time....wheel will not turn..... and i sure is heck learned from my last time breaking the helm by forcing the steering wheel ...wont do that again lol
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can bet the pump was damaged when you ran with NO fluid...just think of starting your engine and running with no oil...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Last time pump was basically empty, i filled it up, the pump was sucking in the steering fluid like no tomorrow....this time the fluid looks like Lake Placid, fluid is calm as can be.
Can the pumps be rebuilt? New ones seem a bit pricey! Are they the same as a GM vehicle pump?
Also, when motor IS running, should I be able to turn the outdrive even if the pump is not working? kinda like manual steering in a car vs. power steering?