Selecting a supercharger >

Selecting a supercharger

Notices

Selecting a supercharger

Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason3603
Thanks for the info, but not really enough to make an educated decision. I guess what I will do is list every maker of supercharger on a spinning wheel then spin it like I'm playing wheel of fortune and whatever manufacturer the wheel lands on I will order the most expensive one from that manufacturer. LOL! It is very hard to make a decision when everyone claims they make the best supercharger out there and nothing else compares. I do not have the bank roll to start trying them all to see what really is the best.
I'm not sure this is really true. No other SC company offers complete packages or supporting tunes. Almost none of them offer support on the combo's or the extra parts needed to complete the project.

PSI's really are not for most. They have HORRIBLE distribution, they do not idle without a lot of work. There only good if you know how to set one up, there extremely hard on belts if your making some power, there hard on crank shafts (if you don't have a bryant or similar). If you don't get the right housing/rotor combo, then they are not very good at all. Also, they have 6-9 month lead times, how is the warranty/service after that lead time?

Roots are the cheapest option and do well when the motor is built around the SC. High compression, low boost, big carbs or billet throttle bodies. Proper size sc for engine. But they don't idle well, horrible on fuel economy because so much fuel evaporates while it takes heat away going through the rotors, are extremely tall, belts are typically very loud, most wear and need to be rebuilt.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
ya,keep away from psi and m4 procharges,and 8.3Lwhipple,they just dont make power,lol.
Dont make power, what are u smoking
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexanlarry
Dont make power, what are u smoking
i was being sarcastic,i have 8.3L whipples on one of my boats,and love them.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

Jason 3603 Do yourself a favor and buy a 1071 or 1471 from The Blower Shop for around $5500 and have fun. Don't let Whipple charged or anyone else
try to sell you a Whipple you do not want and cannot afford.

Last edited by addfrimodig; 12-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 PM
sre
Registered

Jason, look into Scorpion racing in Livonia. Not far from you and does great work. They have an outstanding resume and their shop is impeccable. Contact Frank McCommas.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

The 12-71 is the perfect fit, takes less hp to run and can still make up to 1300 hp
Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Good Thread Going Here..........
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

A high helix 10:71 with the triangulated type discharge might be a good choice. Bds, littlfield, Tbs...all good choices. You might have to be careful on manifolds due to distributor clearance. What compression are you running and do you plan on running a chiller?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Registered

It's been a while since I've checked this thread. There has been a lot of interesting postings. I was hoping to get a little more of the facts to what supercharger you select for the engine you are building.

For example you don't buy a Semi truck for a daily driver, it would be a bit pricey and a little over kill. The manufacturers offer stages for thier superchargers. When is a stage 1 sufficient and when is a stage 5 needed?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be over thinking this. A wieand 871 (cost effective) could get the job done if you we're on the high side of compression for forced induction. Still a 1071 may be a better choice...spin it slower and make less heat. Add a chiller and you will be spinning the blower faster to make the same amount of boost but shoving in a denser charge. Spinning the blower faster = shorter rebuild intervals. A 1271 would definitely get the job done and at slower speeds but it may have rotor leakage at lower rpm which throttle response could be affected. Not sure what all the stages are but I think a tip stripped high helix 1071 closed off discharge would fit the bill great. Bds, little field, tbs all good choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.