Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
WD-40 on motor for winter storage??? >

WD-40 on motor for winter storage???

Notices

WD-40 on motor for winter storage???

Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use CRC but its basically the same, never any problems just don't get it on the belts or in the alternator.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

I've been using WD for years . It works especially well on bare unpainted aluminum and carburetors , it drives the moisture out and then keeps it at bay . Keep it off all rubber parts including out of your air tools . WD eats rubber .
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
Factory option?? Because mine has that feature also

And here I thought I had a Rare option!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How about pure silicone spray, or maybe fogging oil?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
How about pure silicone spray, or maybe fogging oil?
Silicone or fogging oil won't displace moisture like WD-40, also fogging oil is a bit heavier than WD-40 and may require some clean-up. I use Fogging oil on stuff I put in storage for long periods that I can wipe down before I use. The WD stands for water displacing. I've been using it for years also, it leaves just enough of a film to keep things protected but not gum them up. It works great on keeping aluminum intakes looking new.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

I believe I read somewhere the main ingredient in WD is fish oil.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
wd40 is 80 percent solvent,i recommend useing marvel mystery oil as it is much better at inhibiting rust.
wd 40 has changed the formula,it is no longer 80 percent solvent,it is now 50 percent solvent,as in mineral spirits,i got this from their web site.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

WD-40 is a good water displacer when applied but after it has dried not so good.The down side it evaporates leaving little protection,bad for rubber,plastic,and POTTED ELECTRONICS- MODULES-makes potting material fail then moisture enters then modules, msd box, etc.fail.. that's not fun.

I don't use wd-40 on my boat anywhere.

I use silicone spray everywhere on the boat EXCEPT ELECTRICAL SWITCHES -- (CONTACTS) SEE ELECTRONICS BELOW OR WIKIPEDIA FOR MORE ABOUT SILICONE

I use AX7-C connector lubricant on all electrical connections, switches and contacts. SEE AX7-C BELOW.

WD -40
formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented, to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[3][5] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

51% Stoddard solvent - also known as - mineral spirits (US), also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum) or Stoddard solvent,is a paraffin-derived clear, transparent liquid which is a common organic solvent used in painting and decorating.

25% liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+% mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-% inert ingredientson organic solvent used in painting and decorating.

SILICONE
Chemistry

Chemical structure of the silicone polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS).
More precisely called polymerized siloxanes or polysiloxanes, silicones are mixed inorganic-organic polymers with the chemical formula [R2SiO]n, where R is an organic group such as methyl, ethyl, or phenyl. These materials consist of an inorganic silicon-oxygen backbone (⋯-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-⋯) with organic side groups attached to the silicon atoms, which are four-coordinate.
In some cases, organic side groups can be used to link two or more of these -Si-O- backbones together. By varying the -Si-O- chain lengths, side groups, and crosslinking, silicones can be synthesized with a wide variety of properties and compositions. They can vary in consistency from liquid to gel to rubber to hard plastic. The most common siloxane is linear polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), a silicone oil. The second largest group of silicone materials is based on silicone resins, which are formed by branched and cage-like oligosiloxanes.

Electronics
Electronic components are sometimes encased in silicone to increase stability against mechanical and electrical shock, radiation and vibration, a process called "potting".
Silicones are used where durability and high performance are demanded of components under hard conditions, such as in space (satellite technology). They are selected over polyurethane or epoxy encapsulation when a wide operating temperature range is required (−65 to 315 °C). Silicones also have the advantage of little exothermic heat rise during cure, low toxicity, good electrical properties and high purity.
The use of silicones in electronics is not without problems, however. Silicones are relatively expensive and can be attacked by solvents.[9] Silicone easily migrates as either a liquid or vapor onto other components.
Silicone contamination of electrical switch contacts can lead to failures by causing an increase in contact resistance, often late in the life of the contact, well after any testing is completed.[10][11] Use of silicone-based spray products in electronic devices during maintenance or repairs can cause later failures.

AX7-C Connector lubricant,

contact lubricant, corrosion inhibitor and anti-corrosion protectant

Failure of electrical connector contacts is the leading cause of electrical system failures.

Apply AX7-C connector lubricant anti-corrosion protectant to any electrical contacts to dramatically improve the reliability of even the best electrical connector contacts by eliminating fretting corrosion and general chemical corrosion, and thereby, minimize electronic system failures and consistently deliver the highest performance.

AX7-C is a metal corrosion inhibitor that is easily applied as a thin film using the fine bristled applicator brush, provided in the bottle's cap. It can also be used as a dip or spray.

AX7-C keeps connector contacts working the way you expect them to.

What makes AX7-C connector lubricant unique and worth the cost?
Unlike lesser connector lubricant products, some of which actually increase corrosion, AX7-C uses the same active ingredients in one of the two formulations chosen by the US military for wide use in critical systems like jet fighters and nuclear submarines. The many other anti-corrosion products tested failed to achieve the performance necessary to meet the tough military spec. and in some cases, actually made matters worse!

A Gold finish is not enough protection
The military contact reliability testing included very expensive, high quality mil-spec'd gold contacts. They found that even these gold on gold contacts were not reliable enough without an anti-corrosion protection contact lubricant like AX7-C.

AX7-C benefits & features
Best connector protection and lubricant formulation there is and better than oils. Chosen by the military as one of the two product formulations found to work and not make matters worse out of many tested
Manufactured to meet and exceed military specification Mil-L-87177A for corrosion protection. Also meets & exceeds Mil-C-81309 for type I, II & III corrosion protection
Hydrophobic. It displaces and excludes water from the contact's mating faces even better than PPE's (polyphenyl ethers)
Reduces sliding friction so contacts connect with lower mating force. They experience reduced wear with repeated connection and disconnection. Static friction stays the same so that contact's retention force is unchanged
Prevents contact fretting corrosion that can plague contacts that experience any vibration, even minor like from fans
Synthetic and contains no silicone or petroleum distillates. Not a waxy, greasy, oily or hard coating. Does not attract dirt
Bonds to metal creating a tenacious film that prevents corrosive materials getting to the metal. Better than waxes, AX7-C film is self-healing and survives being scratched
Operating temperature range exceeds whatever operation temperature the contact itself is rated for. Typically -70°C to 250°C. Maintains protection at lower temperatures than PPE based lubricants
AX7-C Film does not migrate, has very low vapor pressure and is very long lasting. It has been found that AX7-C's corrosion protection often increases over time
Non-Conductive
Easily applied and easily removed, if necessary
Won’t damage any metals or materials typically used in electrical contacts
Built-in UV tracer dye makes applied material glow under ultraviolet light so coverage is easily verified
Non-flammable formulation
RoHS compliant
Made in the USA
AX7-C uses
All electrical contacts and connectors. A brief list of examples includes: male/female connectors of all sorts, terminal blocks, AC & DC power plugs, light bulb sockets, battery connections, circuit board connectors, cable connectors like Ethernet, HDMI, IDE, SCSI, USB, RCA, keyboard, coaxial, telephone, speaker, audio, video, RF, circular multi-pin, etc.
Wire protection. Briefly dip, up to the insulation, stripped wire ends in AX7-C. The fluid will wick up into the wire a short distance and prevent wire corrosion in that area
Conformal coatings. Metal parts and electronic circuit boards can be conformally coated with AX7-C by brief dipping, spraying or brushed application. Allows components to be easily reworked.
As general purpose corrosion inhibitor and protectant. AX7-C is an excellent bare metal corrosion inhibitor that is much better than oil or wax at preventing corrosion and without attracting dirt. Apply AX7-C to any metal you want to protect from corrosion. A brief list of examples includes: tools, guns, knives and other metal weapons, fishing gear, marine hardware and tackle, screws and bolts, etc.
See more connector lubricant & corrosion inhibitor applications.

How AX7-C is used
AX7-C is not, primarily, a cleaner and is not designed to remove corrosion, but rather to prevent it. It displaces moisture.

For best results apply to clean (free of oil, flux, etc.) metal surfaces. Cleaning oil from surfaces before application with a solvent such as Acetone or M.E.K. will ensure the best results.

Can also be applied by spraying. Sprayer's materials must be compatible. See solvent compatibility below.

AX7-C will glow blue in the dark, where it was applied, when illuminated with ultraviolet light. If normally protected from UV light (to prevent dye degradation), areas needing reapplication can be identified by a lack of this glow.

Store AX7-C between 32°F and 140°F.

Product is non-hazardous and non-flammable when used as directed. As always when using solvents, user is responsible for using appropriate personal protection equipment such as skin and eye protection and resipiratory protection if vapors are present.

AX7-C's solvent should be kept off incompatible materials, which are not normally found in connectors, to prevent potential marring problems. Incompatible Plastics: ABS, acrylic, Lexan (polycarbonate), Ryton (PPS), styrene and polystyrene (incl: K-resin). Incompatible elastomers: natural rubber (e.g., latex) and neoprene. Also, be careful near painted or coated surfaces because it may mar or strip many of those items.

Safety warnings: As is usual with solvent based products, use in a well ventilated area where fumes are undectable. Keep out of eyes and avoid skin contact. Do not breath solvent fumes or mist. Keep out of reach of children. Do not take internally. Use appropriate gloves (e.g., nitrile, silvershield or viton material) if skin contact with solvent will occur. Latex gloves are NOT acceptable.

As is usual in medical equipment or other applications where loss of life is a direct risk, AX7-C is not to be used without prior testing. It is the responsibility solely of the user to confirm the product's suitability in any such case.

See additional product information at connector lubricant & corrosion inhibitor details.

How AX7-C works
Corrosion happens because chemicals can react with a contact's bare metal surface. AX7-C prevents the corrosion by forming a passivating layer with a tight, air-tight bond to the metal that prevents any chemical activity from taking place. AX7-C's lubricant properties allow connector contacts to be mated using less force, while not reducing the retaining force that holds them together. The lubricant also prevents fretting corrosion and reduces wear on the contact's faces.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha shield awesome keeps every thing looking clean and new. I use it alot on outboards and dont see a problem on an inboard keep off belts tho.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have read a lot of very positive stuff about Q20 products. http://www.qmaxxproducts.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.