View Poll Results: 114 or 112 for low rpm power
46.88%
53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Cam LSA

Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I will be the first one to say, these motors are far from ideal for the power they made. Nobody thought they'd make the power they did. However, if you throw enough boost at something it will make some power.

I was there to witness the original prosystems carb get sucked dry at 6000rpm on the dyno. Hence the need to upgrade to dual needle and seat bowls. After they were installed all was good fuel delivery wise. Anyone who knows procharger blow thru setups, will tell you aroun 1200-1300hp dual needle and seat bowls become mandatory, and if these motors in question weren't making the power they are, or at least close to it, standard needle and seat bowls would have sufficed.

Unfortunately joe, the owner of this boat, doesn't have endless pockets, so he's trying to work with what he has. As far as I know, he gave bob his engine specs, and bob was supposed to get back with him on the cams. However, I think it ended there.

If bob madera is going around telling other people what a disaster of a motor this is ,or anything related to his conversation with joe the owner of these motors, well than I find that a tad bit unprofessional . I have spoke highly of bob and recommended many his way many times since I've learned of him almost 10 years ago.

I do recall him telling joe that he absolutely would not run a lunati 4" blower crank in this application. However, I believe the 1450hp that Dennis R here built a while back had a lunati crank. And I believe bob designed the cam for that. Which that motor did make some awesome numbers.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Why would any professional engine builder allow a customer to dictate something as critical as cam selection if the builder knows it's not going to work? Who chose those heads..?

You have stated several times that people "don't know you" so they shouldn't say anything about you or your builds. You've never met me but did a bunch of chit talking behind my back while I was helping someone else that you screwed with wrong parts. And they called me, and I didn't even know it was you that screwed them. You're a real beauty.. By now I think everyone knows you're a joke. Good luck with your engine business..
Haxby, in mike tkachs defense, joe the owner of these motors is not a customer of mikes. Just a boating buddy. Mike has tried to talk joe into efi, and a bunch o other things to go in a better direction. Our friend Joe is a great guy, but very stubborn.

I don't know the deal regarding you and mike, but he has brought your name up in our conversations and it was always in a positive way, saying how sharp you are.

Man this thread go downhill. So much for the good old shop talk days in the tech section!!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Oh and just to clarify, in the start of this tread, when I referred to my buddies "cam guy" I was not referring to bob m . I was referring to the guy who specd his current cams
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mild, shop talk and bench racing are great. If you want some potentially valuable input, then post up all the specs on that build with as much detail as possible and I bet you'll get a bunch of productive responses.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Why did you go so low with the compression on a Procharged motor ? depending on where the cam is set in the motor now, you could pick up some bottom end by advancing it.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
Why did you go so low with the compression on a Procharged motor ? depending on where the cam is set in the motor now, you could pick up some bottom end by advancing it.
Like I said, I didnt build these motors, pick the parts, or have really anything to do with them. I would personally not have went with such low static compression, especially with such a long duration cam.

The cam was a 252/262 at .050, 114lsa, .644 lift. New cams being ground as we speak.

These engines came with the boat. Mike Tkach did not spec these engines out either. They came with the boat when purchased, and if I remember correctly had issues from the get go. All Mike Tkach did was go thru them for his buddy. The owner of the engines had the 252/262 cams made up, chose to reuse the cylinder heads they had (edelbrock marine rect ports with some chamber work and mild port work) and other parts.

In reality, the only reason the engines are out getting worked on now, is because the procharger blew its guts out, sending shrapnel into the oil pan (M4 non self contained oiling).

Not sure what river rat meant by whacky stupid valvetrain in these motors. Crower stainless rockers, Morel Lifters, isky tool room springs, etc. Decent stuff in my book. Is it shaft mount stuff, no, but again, were talking edelbrock heads and blow thru carb here. Obviously these arent some high end big dollar builds.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
GPM
Registered

I'm not an Engine builder, but we've played with the Prochargers for over 10 years now, the 112 lsa cams have worked better than the 114s for us.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by GPM
I'm not an Engine builder, but we've played with the Prochargers for over 10 years now, the 112 lsa cams have worked better than the 114s for us.
just adding to this mess lol....we all have tryed to talk jo into going with 2 of bob's cams,,cards are in joes hands..

now these are not your average pro chargers..,they put out like 6 psi of boost at 3k and from what i understand when they dynoed these motors the operator of the dyno stopped the pull ay 6500 rpm and somewhere around 13 psi of boost..from what i understand these motors would have reved well north of 6500 rpm's..the guy that picked the cams is a DRAG RACER so now you see why the cam is so aggressive in the big end..thease motors had baby cams in it before and the engines rocked...so when the new cam was chosen by a drag racer which really is not a boat racer and chose the wrong duration for the cams so joe can get his low end torque that is needed to get this 42' pig on plane..
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Why would any professional engine builder allow a customer to dictate something as critical as cam selection if the builder knows it's not going to work? Who chose those heads..?

You have stated several times that people "don't know you" so they shouldn't say anything about you or your builds. You've never met me but did a bunch of chit talking behind my back while I was helping someone else that you screwed with wrong parts. And they called me, and I didn't even know it was you that screwed them. You're a real beauty.. By now I think everyone knows you're a joke. Good luck with your engine business..
haxby,as far as me saying no one should say anything about my builds,i never said that,what i said was the only people who dont like me really dont know me.please tell me about the [junk parts] that i screwed someone on,and as far as chit talking behind your back,again i have no clue what you are talking about.i pride myself in being honest and i have never screwed anybody out of one cent.as far as me being a joke,you are entitled to your opinion,as we all are.and one more thing,i am trying to talk my friend into going efi,and you were on my short list of people i recomended,but after seeing what you really are,il make sure to tell him to forget about haxby speed.one more thing,i dont have an engine business,but i have been at this for 40 years and i am busier than i care to be,and im wearing a white&grey shirt today.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
just adding to this mess lol....we all have tryed to talk jo into going with 2 of bob's cams,,cards are in joes hands..

now these are not your average pro chargers..,they put out like 6 psi of boost at 3k and from what i understand when they dynoed these motors the operator of the dyno stopped the pull ay 6500 rpm and somewhere around 13 psi of boost..from what i understand these motors would have reved well north of 6500 rpm's..the guy that picked the cams is a DRAG RACER so now you see why the cam is so aggressive in the big end..thease motors had baby cams in it before and the engines rocked...so when the new cam was chosen by a drag racer which really is not a boat racer and chose the wrong duration for the cams so joe can get his low end torque that is needed to get this 42' pig on plane..
Even though I run Prochargers, and one of the cams I ran was a solid roller 276/284 @ .050 making 1250 lb of torque at 4600. Low compression, a Procharger and a big boat. I think a Whipple would be better suited for this application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.