Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why are outdrives so expensive???? >

Why are outdrives so expensive????

Notices

Why are outdrives so expensive????

Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why are outdrives so expensive????

Wtf is up with the prices of outdrives? Everytime I look at them in the classifieds i just shake my head. My uncle had a set of #6's in his shop and I just dont see the money. I think the arnesons are awsome and almost art but I still dont see $25k a piece. You can buy some one off cool **** for less? Is it the just the boat tax or is there something im missing?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah i dont really get it. coming from the car world you can buy a bulletproof 1000hp capable powerglide or th400 for 3k why is basically the boat equilvalent 25k lol
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmawd350
yeah i dont really get it. coming from the car world you can buy a bulletproof 1000hp capable powerglide or th400 for 3k why is basically the boat equilvalent 25k lol
I can see and auto with a recast of a cheap factory case with alot fewer parts being cheap. Compare them to a ppg dogbox or a jerico doxbox. Both of those have some really expensive gears and the jerico is a custom case that can be had in magnesium and is still a fraction of some of these ****ty drives. I personally think that there is a huge markup from the factory on some of this stuff. I realize the r&d, overhead and marketing but geez!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hear ya Indy....... Jeff well put, as long as they can get the almighty dollar for it....they will keep that price WAY up. Happy Holidays all!!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Cause its for a boat! thats a 50% mark my friend.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsmawd350
Yes you can.

The boat equivalent is more than 25K more and has to do some things that the TH doesnt.

First one being a 90 degree transfer of power to a case that by its nature has to be skinny to be efficient.

Then it has to take a beating in a bi directional fashion (in the ocean) - flexing & the gears back and forth against each other while pushing a much heavier object under a much greater sustained load.

Does it suck that this stuff is this much bread-you bet.

Uncle Dave
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were to hook up a trailer behind your road vehicle that is at or over capacity and climb a mountain all the time in first gear you might find that your auto tranny and gear boxes would also cost more. To compare boats to cars in anyway just doesn't work out.

However, the sheer number of road vehicles alone drives down cost of just about everything on the car.

As population grows, so does the number of road vehicles.

As the population grows, the number of boat owners drops every year no matter what the economy does. Therefore, water craft and all associated parts will continue to cost exponentially more than most over-the-road stuff.

I still think it's cheaper than most divorce cases though...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
Wtf is up with the prices of outdrives? Everytime I look at them in the classifieds i just shake my head. My uncle had a set of #6's in his shop and I just dont see the money. I think the arnesons are awsome and almost art but I still dont see $25k a piece. You can buy some one off cool **** for less? Is it the just the boat tax or is there something im missing?
With the 25K Arneson you are referring to includes a 5K transmission and I agree.. That thing cost too much!! But it is what it is and I can't make one (currently) so the cost reflects the parts that are in the assembly.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Registered

I realize the r&d, overhead and marketing but geez!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

As with any manufactured product the price reflects how many are made. If you call up Imco and order 500K SCX-4's I bet you will see a significant reduction in cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.