sce cooper gasket >

sce cooper gasket

Notices

sce cooper gasket

Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sce cooper gasket

Anyone have try SCE cooper gasket in marine application?

Cooper gasket good or bad for marine engine??
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by supermx96
Anyone have try SCE cooper gasket in marine application?

Cooper gasket good or bad for marine engine??
You know my answer. For what youre running, a MLS gasket is more than enough. Know plenty of guys running 10+ lbs of boost and 1000+ hp with them and no issues.

I don't think the copper gaskets do well in marine, but never messed with them, so don't really know.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Tried the SCE Titans on 2 motors, both leaked water, hard to beat a stainless MLS.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You know my answer. For what youre running, a MLS gasket is more than enough. Know plenty of guys running 10+ lbs of boost and 1000+ hp with them and no issues.

I don't think the copper gaskets do well in marine, but never messed with them, so don't really know.
Yes i know thanks for your help,
just wanted opinion on that type of gasket, because a local car speed shop have talk it to me yesturday but that shop dont know about the marine requirement needs and parts compatibility.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

I run Cometic MLS gaskets in my race car, it is a Pontiac with tight bore spaceing. Although it is an aftermarket block the bore is 4.500, on the traditional Pontiac bore spaceing. The space between the bore is minimal, and these motors are prone to blowing the gasket betwean five and seven and four and six because of the siamesed exhaust ports on the heads. The center two exhaust ports are side by side, which creates more heat in the center of the head. Motor is 16 to 1 compression, and I tried every gasket combination you could think of to keep it from blowing thru the aforemintioned bores. It was not untill I purchased Cometic 3 layer gaskets, removed the rivits holding them together and sprayed copper coat on both sides of each layer and put them on the block useing the head dowl pins to keep them aligned, I come out with a head gasket that would seal. I takes one can of copper coat per gasket to do the job right, and two light coats on each side of all three layers.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use them in my 1100 scs.. the trick is to cut the oring groove in the block deep enough to expose about .015" of the stainless wire, then heat the copper up prior to installation, this is critical that they go on warm so i recommend that your sealing compound be installed on both the heads and block surface prior to heating the gaskets... once you're ready with all the aformentioned, install the heads, use a tripple torque sequence, first pass at 50%, 2nd @75%, then 100%... let engine sit for about an hour, then back off the head bolts and retorque... trust me, this is a royal pain in the a$$, but the outcome is quite foolproof!!! however, once you've cut the block for orings, you are committed to running copper from then on, or decking the decks .020"+ to remove the register, then you're stuck with using custom pistons... so be sure of what you want before you take the Nestea plunge!!!
I would have used a cometic, but the blocks came from Batten, they do all the preprep for mercury marine... the grooves were cut in the blocks when I got them... so hope this helps you

Last edited by adk61; 12-13-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a great deal for a normal even blown marine setup....ran them on a Sonny's 565 in a race car...they love to leak !!!! cost $$$$$ my .02
Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
not a great deal for a normal even blown marine setup....ran them on a Sonny's 565 in a race car...they love to leak !!!! cost $$$$$ my .02
as I stated they are a pain in the a$$, but there is no better seal as to the combustion chamber/oring seal achieved with dead soft copper...

Cometic makes an MLS gasket with a fire ring in it, but also is a pain in the a$$ as special machine work needs to be done on the decks for it as well
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use many SCE Copper gaskets on my Nitrous and blown alcohol Drag engines. The ONLY time you want to use a copper gasket in a marine application is when you have a properly o-ringed blocked in a forced induction application. Copper is harder to seal water. In marine apps I use Performance Gasket. They offer a " dead soft" copper gasket with graphite inserts for the water. They work great! Other wise, yes Cometic MLS style gaskets are your best choice weather N/A or supercharged.

Dean Gellner
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Registered

If you run the copper gaskets you need to run silicone silicate through the cooling system. it is basically liquid glass. but it would have to be a sealed cooling system. You can get it at the drug store. it will seal all the pourouse leaks associated with copper gaskets and coat the internal water passages against corrosion. This is the only way you will get copper gaskets to seal from water leaks. Been their done that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.