Preparing for SuperChargers >

Preparing for SuperChargers

Notices

Preparing for SuperChargers

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

This is key right here.........from that article

The only drawback is that this blower, while conveniently small, is also a bit undersized for the displacement of a stroked big-block. The out-of-the-box pulleys only made 2 psi boost, gaining 82 hp and 70 lb-ft over zero boost. We ordered a 2.85-inch blower pulley (PN 6790, $71) and used it with the stock 6.00-inch crank pulley to make 3 psi at peak. We later tried a 7.00-inch crank pulley for a blower-drive ratio of 2.46:1 and made a peak of 5 psi, good for 749 lb-ft and 700 hp, but the blower had its tongue hanging out. The belt was starting to slip and the case was getting very hot, causing extreme power dropoff in back-to-back pulls
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I agree. Plus we were getting off track a bit. I'd love to bring one of my 420 blowers up for the dyno session though. Since It would bolt on to his intake, and just require some pulley swapping, which I have extras. That would be pretty cool, just wish I lived a little closer to rookie. Kind of a supercharger shoot out , maybe even bolt chillers on and off. Really give his engine a workout!!!
I think it would be great information! The 250 and 420 are closer in comparison than the 177 and the 871 as well. Then throw in the cooler both ways for good measure. Look at the final dyno hp at max rpm and then at cruise.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Lakes Engine Dyno Locations

Originally Posted by Rookie
Where do you dyno and how much $$$ to dyno? I have a truck and time, just not a ton of $$$.
That is a good question. What are the options for engine dynos with marine experience in the Great Lakes area? It would be great if there was a list of shops with pricing and tuning capabilities (carb and efi (mefi or other aftermarket)). Anyone looking for a project?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Inspector
That is a good question. What are the options for engine dynos with marine experience in the Great Lakes area? It would be great if there was a list of shops with pricing and tuning capabilities (carb and efi (mefi or other aftermarket)). Anyone looking for a project?
I had Brian Orlandi dyno my new engine 2 years ago, he is on the east side of MI. Great guy with tons of knowledge and his shop is awesome! Also a OSO member. Link to his website below.

http://www.orlandiperformance.com/
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Did anyone ever make a -2 trs lower? That would help you immensley on the top end.
The hot set up was to bolt a #3 speed master lower to the trs upper, cut the cav plate and run a cleaver prop. This was affectionately known as the "#2 drive"
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Registered

On your cam issue, why not use the GM performance timing chain set that comes with the retro fit retaining plate? Cheap at about $50 bucks and no more cam walk?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
The hot set up was to bolt a #3 speed master lower to the trs upper, cut the cav plate and run a cleaver prop. This was affectionately known as the "#2 drive"
Im pretty sure a #3 lower will not physically bolt up to a TRS. I think the #2 lower was its own deal, and not a very good one at that. It was said a regular TRS was stronger than the #2 (TRS upper with #2 lower). I even think the #2 setup was deeper than the TRS.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Im pretty sure a #3 lower will not physically bolt up to a TRS. I think the #2 lower was its own deal, and not a very good one at that. It was said a regular TRS was stronger than the #2 (TRS upper with #2 lower). I even think the #2 setup was deeper than the TRS.
I was lied to then, I am no trs expert by any means.

I did witness the cut cav plates and satin lowers on close friends TRS boats. And I know the prop shaft was raised because one close friend always had trouble getting on plane.

Ill have to ask more details
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

TTT

So I finally got the 2nd engine torn down. Also got a little surprise. 3 lobes were going out. I got it out just in time. I didn't see any issues with this engine. Maybe off 100RPM compared to the other at WOT and cruise right before the 4barrels open.
Attached Thumbnails Preparing for SuperChargers-cam.jpg   Preparing for SuperChargers-cam1.jpg   Preparing for SuperChargers-cam2.jpg  

Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered

Good catch, what cam and manufacturer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.