Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need GPS Speedo feedback, What brand. >

Need GPS Speedo feedback, What brand.

Notices

Need GPS Speedo feedback, What brand.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need GPS Speedo feedback, What brand.

I have to replace my guages and have looked at Livorsi and AutoMeter's Pro Comp. I guess it comes down to the fit and finish of the guages. I like the AutoMeter guages but does anyone have information on the gps performance and receivers. I heard about some issues still with Livorsi's but I have not been able to find any feedback about Autometer's Pro comp series GPS units.

And I can install the same number of guages from Autometer for $400 less. Which is a nice advantage also.

Thanks and any first hand knowledge would be great
Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have run the autometer GPS in both my boats and have no complaints! Never had a problem and you can't beat the price. In addition don't be fooled be anyone telling you that you need to spend $300 on a marine gps antenna. As long as you do some research you can get a garmin antenna on eBay for $80 which works fine with the autometers!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered

I replaced our speedo last summer with a livorsi GPS and love it. They don't use battery antennas anymore. It gets power from the gauge. We haven't had a problem with ours and the fit and finish is great.

I don't know anything about the Autometers so I can't give any feedback on them.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Smile

I've had a Livorsi GPS for about 12 years now . The only problem was with the original antenna that had its own battery . These lasted 2 yrs. if you were lucky . When it went dead i called Livorsi and they sold me the new style antenna as mentioned by the op . $180.00 and no more problem .
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

can`t give you any feed back beside that its a nice gauge but I went the speed hut route.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4-GP...-and-high-beam)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
i have run the autometer gps in both my boats and have no complaints! Never had a problem and you can't beat the price. In addition don't be fooled be anyone telling you that you need to spend $300 on a marine gps antenna. As long as you do some research you can get a garmin antenna on ebay for $80 which works fine with the autometers!
+1
Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Default Which garmin did you end up using

I have run the autometer GPS in both my boats and have no complaints! Never had a problem and you can't beat the price. In addition don't be fooled be anyone telling you that you need to spend $300 on a marine gps antenna. As long as you do some research you can get a garmin antenna on eBay for $80 which works fine with the autometers!
I poked around EBay and found a few Nema certified Garmin antenna's, some were the dash mount style. Which one did you end up using. A dash mount or did you hide one under your dash.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

if I ever have to replace my gauges they will be Autometer. I put them in a boat that I redid and love them.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by toyo321
I poked around EBay and found a few Nema certified Garmin antenna's, some were the dash mount style. Which one did you end up using. A dash mount or did you hide one under your dash.
I am using this one!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-18x-LVC...in+gps+18x+lvc
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I will look at it!!