Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best sounding Marine subwoofer. 10 or 12? >

Best sounding Marine subwoofer. 10 or 12?

Notices

Best sounding Marine subwoofer. 10 or 12?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
I had two 10s in my Sunny before. I decided to go with two downfiring 12s this summer. Holy hell, huge difference. If you have the room, go for the 12s. Night and day difference for not a lot more cost.
Do you have any pics of the down firing box? I have not seen one in a boat.

Do you have an resonance issues? What are the subs firing at?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have any pics because I have only seen it installed, obviously not much to look at installed. It is installed in my back seat, so there's the floor covering the bilge.

No resonance problems, just hits really hard nice and clean. Couldn't be happier. Much better than firing out towards the cockpit for certain, my old 10" subs didn't hit half as hard set like that.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Been looking at the Rockford 10 inch marine subs. I hear they are better then the JL's, which was my first thought.... I just need to replace my 2 clarion subs.

Anyone heard them before or the jls
I was talking to a stereo guy the other day about some stuff, in his opinion the Jl is still best marine sub...of course thats his opinion, but I have to say I have yet to hear anything beat em, especially for all day nonstop abuse...I have 3 in mine, adding another to even it out since I am reding the interior... the pounding is amazing..
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stereo buddy owns a shop and they sell both. They say the JL s are damn good for free air. But the new rockford have impressed him greatly. And they are 1/2 the price.

I have never heard either in a free air situation
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had great luck with Kicker KM-10's installed as a free-air application in the bottom rear seat base. Believe it or not, they really work well. Don't need a huge amp either and can be found online for close to $50 each through Sonic Electronics on occasion.

Also instaled one in a Mariah Deck boat in the sink enclosure as a free air and I was very suprised how well it worked.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just bought 2 Rockford fosgate 10" marine subs, 4 pair Rockford fosgate 6" 2ways, & 2 each Kicker 700 and 450 watt amps to run with a Kenwood deck in my Eliminator. It should be interesting to say the least. Randy
Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

I have a pair of Rockford's 12" subs (not sure of the model #) and they sound pretty decent. I don't think they are the marine model but I have had no troubles with them. Installed under the rear bench.