Notices

vinyl die

Old 10-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a big difference between dye and paint with flex additive in it. Back in the day... before the tree huggers got into the picture, you could get a good vinyl dye. SEM did in fact make a great dye, now its a paint with flex additive. The old dye would soak into your vinyl, whereas the stuff today is more like a paint. I am in no way saying the stuff today wont hold up. But I will say I would not use SEM for vinyl again. Its not what it used to be. My paint supplier has told me that just about everything chemical is not as good as it used to be because of the tree huggers, they had to take away all the good stuff to pass
Old 10-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Yep, the Duplicolor goes on like paint, preps like paint, and smells like paint. For me where the cushions are toast it gives me another season for $5 a cushion. Lol.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So everyone says its all in the prep... Please explain what prep process you would go through???
Old 10-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

though cleaning with something like spray 9 or eq. then wipe down at least twice with clean rags each time with plenty of rubbing alcohol has always worked for me...doing a dash as we speak
Old 10-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
though cleaning with something like spray 9 or eq. then wipe down at least twice with clean rags each time with plenty of rubbing alcohol has always worked for me...doing a dash as we speak
a little rubbing with Scotchbrite is helpful as well.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by swiss
So everyone says its all in the prep... Please explain what prep process you would go through???

Originally Posted by Rookie
I have also used the Plastikote and Duplicolor vinyl paint a few times with great results.
I still have a couple of seats that I did in white and blue 12years ago that have held up.
I would clean real good with Super Clean (purple jug) and a magic eraser (it's a fine abrasive)
Wipe down with acetone to get it to tack up for good adhesion and hit it with some Duplicolor vinyl paint.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
http://www.plastikote.com/products/S...nyl-Paint.html
Old 10-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I had pretty good luck using electrical tape on the seams with colors. I found about one can per cushion is a good count, and auto parts stores only tend to carry about two cans of each color so plan ahead.