Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496Mag, Dissapearing drive fluid >

496Mag, Dissapearing drive fluid

Notices

496Mag, Dissapearing drive fluid

Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well talked to a local repair shop, that a buddy of mine works for and his first statement out of his mouth was. "if you cant find the leak, and its going in the boat, its the Yoke seal......"

they want 80 bucks labor to fix the seal, and 15 dollas for the seal its self (that's if I bring them the drive.)

120 bucks labor if i have them pull the drive, fix seal, and reinstall the drive, and fill with new fluid...... 40 bucks difference. + new fliud

Needless to say, both drives are getting, new yoke seals, and drive fluid Friday. The other one leaks, but a lot slower, so he said he can pop the drive off and if its a bad seal then the bellows will be full, and he will know instantly. and then can finish removing and replacing the part.

Last edited by mittens; 02-25-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

OK, picked up boat. total was 400 bucks.

They pulled both drives, replaces both yoke seals, and one needed a seal around a shift lever.
Then pressure tested both drives, and installed them, and filled with new fluid and topped reservoirs off. also while they had it off painted top cap , that had the pain coming off.

One seal was torn, and leaking bad, the other was leaking but not as bad, the boots where both FULL of fluid.

so good call guys, and thanks for the help
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Registered

Not a bad price at all for that sort of work: I have done that job a few times myself and it can be a pain unless you have either a stern drive jack or an engine hoist, or 2 strong friends to hold the drive while you guide it off and on....