Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel system setup!!!Does this sound right?? >

Fuel system setup!!!Does this sound right??

Notices

Fuel system setup!!!Does this sound right??

Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel system setup!!!Does this sound right??

Alright i am installing a proc charged M1 unit on my otherwise stock baja 25'
i didnt want to run the pro charger fuel setup so i have made some changes and did a few modifications, i just want to make sure some of the more knowledgeable boat guys agree this will be sufficient.

The boat has 3/8" fuel line coming off the tank, i took and deleted the 90* fitting off the water separator and ran it straight into the water separator hoping to reduce restriction.
From there it 45s out of the water separator -8an line and runs back up towards front of motor and across the front to my 100 micron fuel filter.
I maintained -8an throughout feed line to the A1000 pump 45into it and straight out. from there it runs out of the back of the pump up to the regulator mounted on motor and then -8an out of regulator into the fuel rail.
its a 1999 so the feed into rail is pretty much center of the rail, i took and tapped the rail with a 1/4"npt for my -8an to tie into.
then it returns out of the bottom of the boost ref regulator to a -6an line and i ran the line back to the top of the fuel tank and put a fitting in the top of the tank by the fill neck so it dumps back into the tank and plugged both returns on the water separator.

all i am wanting to do is safely supply enough fuel to my motor estimating ill make 625-650hp....

I feel like it is sufficient but would like to see what some other more boat knowledgeable people think, just want a few reliable seasons!!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a little confused...I get that way !!! can you show a quick drawing ? anyway you should run a Y from the pump to rails, the regulator after the rails to tank..also if you are using the junk merc EFI rails I understand some need to be modified to keep from leaning out a couple cylinders...a few others know the years and what needs to be done... a1000 is correct, as is the boost referenced regulator, make sure it's the non procharger one...use the one from aeromotive for the pump...
Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Registered

its a single rail and i am using all aero components, the rails ports are all equal at each injector it was the older rails that leaned out the back cylinders. i set the regulator up per aeros recommendations which is feed the regulator as close to rail as possible then out reg to the rail, it basically dead heads in the rail and then returns out the bottom of reg.. its a bypass style regulator.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

It's always preferred to run the pump into the rails, and feed the regulator out the back of the rails.
But, your method works fine for the HP levels you are after.

Keep a pressure sender on the rail, and keep an eye on it at wide open throttle. Any filter restriction or USCG checkvalve restriction will usually wait until 5 to 10 seconds into wide open throttle before it affects the pressure, so it's good to always have a gauge you can see from the helm.

Dunno if you will need an EFI remap, but I would advise it. Boost ref'd regulator is a bit of a band aid on EFI motors.

The A-1000 is a lot of pump at low speeds. You may look into a dual speed box for the pump.

MC
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered

The comp is being re flashed by mark boos and I would love to run the fuel system a different route like feed the rails first but the merc rail is just a single line period... Unless I drill and tap the back of the rail but then only other port is mid rail "where I am currently feeding the rails"
I know the proper way to plumb it's just a little different from race car to boat...

My main concern is the 3/8" line from tank to water separator then turning into -8an on outlet side of water sep. is that 3/8" line enough to feed to -8 at 650 hp?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i hope you know you ned to get rid of the mechanical fuel pump and run just tha a 1000..also make sure you have the filter before the a 1000..
Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Registered

There is and was never a mechanical pump as it's an EFI system and also as stated in original thread the filter is Pre pump. I guess I should have done this thread different as I KNOW what I'm doing with the plumbing, my only real question is the stock pick up and 3/8 line from tank to ONLY the inlet of water separator. The rest of the feed line starting from the exit of water separator to the rails is -8 which I know will support it.
I started looking at the rail and I actually prob could do some machine work and feed the rail from one end and exit the other to the regulator and return out reg to tank BUT my original way is actually how aero says the regulator is designed to work so I might just leave it
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Fuel system setup!!!Does this sound right??-image.jpg

This is the best way!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KWright
Attachment 494887

This is the best way!
Yes IF you can feed through the rail!!
I might look into doing some modifications and making that happen now...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Martin718
There is and was never a mechanical pump as it's an EFI system and also as stated in original thread the filter is Pre pump. I guess I should have done this thread different as I KNOW what I'm doing with the plumbing, my only real question is the stock pick up and 3/8 line from tank to ONLY the inlet of water separator. The rest of the feed line starting from the exit of water separator to the rails is -8 which I know will support it.
I started looking at the rail and I actually prob could do some machine work and feed the rail from one end and exit the other to the regulator and return out reg to tank BUT my original way is actually how aero says the regulator is designed to work so I might just leave it
you come on here asking for opinions and you never stated which engine you have just EFI...and yes the 454's mag and 502 mags had a mechanical fuel pump that was attached to the sea water pump that filled the cool fuel tank and then the electric fuel pump in that tank built the pressure needed to run the 40 some psi that was needed to fire the engine..later merc added a electric fuel pump for vapor lock situations that people were experiencing.. if you dont have the mechanical pump then yous must be updated...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.