Gimble bearing >

Gimble bearing

Notices

Gimble bearing

Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Willy I will have to look at the bearing to be 100 % correct. Does your GB have a red painted dot on it. If not what color is it and which way is the dot facing when you installed it. Can U see the dot facing outward ?. Thanks

Last edited by BUP; 04-05-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a Black dot on it. And the way it is installed now, the black dot is facing out. Bearing carrier notches are facing in.1999 Alpha One Gen II.

Originally Posted by BUP
Willy I will have to look at the bearing to be 100 % correct. Does your GB have a red painted dot on it. If not what color is it. Thanks

Last edited by WillyC32; 04-05-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

heck all of thinking about it, I am confusing myself. I do not have a GB in my hands. the easiest way to install the newer GB required is the inner race length is shorter. I remember now it is .090 shorter than the other side. The shorter side needs to be facing the drive - outward.

The reasons, the shorter side facing outwards and the correct GB needs to be used because interference will take place with newer style u-joint assembly. This will also put increase load on the GB because the clearance is not there as the U-joint outer assembly comes in contact with the inner race of the gimbal bearing (GB). On top of this load is further increased especially when trimming up and full left and right steering inputs this extra load can cause noise on top of that some owners have reported.

Like I said this really started in 2000 when the Bravo apps changed to the bigger u-joint assemblies used in The X, XZ & XR. these newer U-joint assemblies are call L-18.

I will change my other posts to shorter side of .090 inner race length.

If I recall the dot side is the shorter side that needs to face outwards. Again I will have to look at the bearing to remember correctly. I always look for the shorter length of the center inner race and put that outward. I know that's the correct way. I promise 100 % plus thats a piece of mind knowing I have the shorter inner race side facing outward no matter if the dot was painted on the correct side or not.

next if you are installing a non greaseable GB actually called Perma Lube GB no grease seal is required. If it is installed, you can leave it in if you want to or not. just a FYI for whomever.

Last edited by BUP; 04-05-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Registered

So couldnt you just use the newer style non greasable bearing on anything then?

Not sure which I need. One drive is 0F532009 and 0L18700? it has both the same in it now, looks non greasable and if you lay on table one side vs other def is a difference, dot was facing me when looking at it outside boat

Originally Posted by BUP
heck all of thinking about it, I am confusing myself. I do not have a GB in my hands. the easiest way to install the newer GB required is the inner race length is shorter. I remember now it is .090 shorter than the other side. The shorter side needs to be facing the drive - outward.

The reasons, the shorter side facing outwards and the correct GB needs to be used because interference will take place with newer style u-joint assembly. This will also put increase load on the GB because the clearance is not there as the U-joint outer assembly comes in contact with the inner race of the gimbal bearing (GB). On top of this load is further increased especially when trimming up and full left and right steering inputs this extra load can cause noise on top of that some owners have reported.

Like I said this really started in 2000 when the Bravo apps changed to the bigger u-joint assemblies used in The X, XZ & XR. these newer U-joint assemblies are call L-18.

I will change my other posts to shorter side of .090 inner race length.

If I recall the dot side is the shorter side that needs to face outwards. Again I will have to look at the bearing to remember correctly. I always look for the shorter length of the center inner race and put that outward. I know that's the correct way. I promise 100 % plus thats a piece of mind knowing I have the shorter inner race side facing outward no matter if the dot was painted on the correct side or not.

next if you are installing a non greaseable GB actually called Perma Lube GB no grease seal is required. If it is installed, you can leave it in if you want to or not. just a FYI for whomever.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pismo10
There is no "seal" just the bearing and the carrier.
There absolutely is a seal it's meant to keep dirt from getting in from the engine side. It really doesn't even have to be replaced although I do replace them since they're only like seven bucks