Notices

New member discussing helmets/head wear

Old 03-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New member discussing helmets/head wear

Hello all,

First a quick little intro:

I am a senior design student working on his last big project. This last project is the capstone of our student career and will be exhibiting it near the end of the semester for all to see.
The whole thing is self guided, and we choose our own topic.
I plan to design a helmet for power sports racing with integrated communication, and assisted flotation.

I have done a fair amount of research regarding boat safety, pfds, and pages of statistics via the United States Coast Guard.
So far I have looked looked mainly at pwc racing and regulations via the IJSBA. But throughout my research there seemed to be only one company that has designed a helmet specifically for pwcs, Jettribe.

Unlike recreational boating, I understand that racing conditions require the wear of safety equipment and while my focus was being guided that way, I found it much more relevant in this area.

From what I've gathered some areas of concern are:
- weight
- comfort
- break away visor
- water-logging inside helmet

And I plan to add in:
• communication
• assisted flotation
• possible monitoring tech. if rider becomes unconscious

Any thoughts/ideas on the topic of helmets/communication/flotation are welcomed
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Make helmets and or communication systems on offshore power boats cost less so the "working man" can afford it. Communication systems that are now in use in offshore powerboats are basically small Airplane communications systems, and they want 2-4K for a system. Electronics are not expensive anymore, figure out how to make a more cost effective communication system before I do! (I'm old so I might beat you to the challenge) I am already trying stuff.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but,
In the rec world helmets are just over the top and like Sun said when you put any type of communications in them the money goes through the roof. Not to mention hot and uncomfortable.
As for racing, just be careful with flotation and weight. Jackets are designed to flip you over right side up if knocked out. A heavy helmet or flotation in the wrong place could screw that up. But I'm sure you knew that and I will shut up now. lol
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Registered

The biggest issue I've always had with helmets is removal in emergencies. Particularly involving the neck / spine. A proper fitted helmet should be snug, slightly pushing the cheeks in/ up.
The problem with that Is a snug helmet is very difficult to safely remove after w accident without putting stress on the neck & spine.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for ways to keep water from entering the helmet if you are ejected. In an open cockpit marine application, if you ejected from the boat at speed, broken necks due to water intake into the helmet are a major concern.