Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
retrofit K-planes over Bennett, etc? >

retrofit K-planes over Bennett, etc?

Notices

retrofit K-planes over Bennett, etc?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default retrofit K-planes over Bennett, etc?

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the bennett or instatrim tab systems with the k-plane tab system? If so what kind of effort are we talking. Easy, extremely difficult? What about filling previous holes on the transom from the old tabs?
Thanks for any help and info!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Bill,

As I've often said, with enough time, money and effort, anything is possible. So your bigger question should probably be whether or not the investment in all three of those categories will be worth it to you. Are your current tabs broken or causing you issues?

On the plus side, K-Planes are a hell of a lot more durable and you can get a longer tab due to that increased strength. On the negative side, they require two trim pumps (one for each side) and have limited "up" travel.

If you do any tab work at all, you'll want to make sure that the current tabs (and the holes drilled in the transom for them) were properly sealed so that you don't have any water in the transom and sooner or later - rot. Assuming they were installed correctly, you'll need to fill ad seal those holes before drilling new ones. (And those need to be properly sealed too.)

If you want my 2 cents, K-Planes are on hell of a great product, but unless you're having a ton of trouble with your current tabs, they're expensive and time consuming to install. And if you mount them incorrectly, you'll actually lose speed.

Tom
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Tom,
I'm not thinking about them for the Checkmate. I'm looking into 2 other boats, a 30 and a 31 and with the pictures they have either Bennetts or Instatrims. Just wondering what kind of hassle, expense to change to k-planes. I am concerned about the holes that would need to be sealed and do the k-planes and brackets go over any of them.
Of course I wouldn't just do it. I'd drive the boat to see if it really needs it and then only if it does need better tabs and I can get a good deal on used ones.
Bill
Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out my Bennet trim tabs a few years ago and installed the Heavy Duty Lencore trim tabs. The Bennet tabs where just plastic crap. I would break a pin almost evey time I went out if the tabs where extended any amount and if I went faster than 50mph. I had my glass guy fill the holes and reglass. He only charged me $250 to fill and finish everything. The Lencore tabs may not be actual K-planes but they are very cool. They are totally sealed electric screw drives which don't require any type of pump. They are fast and the controller has built in indicators. They also auto retract when the key is turned off. Nice product and more affordable than the K-planes. You may want to look at them.