Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   flywheel question."help" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/295457-flywheel-question-help.html)

joe27baja 04-29-2013 07:56 PM

flywheel question."help"

Is the flywheel the same for a Bravo and a TRS application?

4bus 04-29-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe27baja (Post 3915593)

The flywheel is the same, however the starter ring gear will be on the wrong side off the wheel. A machine shop can mill the flywheel and move the ring to the side if the flywheel you need it.

The flywheel that belongs to the engine should stay with the engine if possible. If you have an engine without a flywheel you need to figure out if the engine is internally or externally balanced before just throwing a wheel on it. A mistake here will be catastrophic.

MrSneakAttack 04-29-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by joe27baja (Post 3915593)

duct tape and a bud light

picklenjim 04-29-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 3915606)
The flywheel is the same, however the starter ring gear will be on the wrong side off the wheel. A machine shop can mill the flywheel and move the ring to the side if the flywheel you need it.

I all depends on if it was used with a top mount starter or bottom mount. Some TRS's use bottom block mount starters which is what a Bravo would use.

joe27baja 04-29-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 3915606)

The flywheel that belongs to the engine should stay with the engine if possible. If you have an engine without a flywheel you need to figure out if the engine is internally or externally balanced before just throwing a wheel on it. A mistake here will be catastrophic.

Bus I found a thread where you commented on the same thing im going through. I put my motors in and went to turn them over and the starters where hitting nothing but air(I should have done my homework before) anyways I have them ready to pull back out now. My motors are externaly balanced and I was told I could by a flywheel for a manual trans big block for the same year 454 and the fly wheel its self is balanced. Im trying to get this together for the weekend

CAPTAIN JACK 04-29-2013 09:48 PM

Also, one thing to note is you can't use a Gen V or Gen VI flywheel on a MK IV, I don't know which motor you have, but I ran into this when I was doing my motors. Something to do with the counter weight.

joe27baja 04-29-2013 09:51 PM

they are Gen 6

MER Performance 04-30-2013 07:11 AM

If you are running a 168 tooth flywheel, with a bottom mount staggered mount starter the ring gear on the flywheel must be on the block side, if rear mount starter ring gear on back it has to be a 168 tooth for rear mount. If you have a Bravo flywheel and are trying to use a mark IV flywheel, I think the counter weight difference is about 65-70 grams.
Did you replace the starter, what has changed from what was there before?

joe27baja 04-30-2013 07:27 AM

Went from a top mount TRS set up to Bravo and my starters is now located under the motors. I will pull them today after work

joe27baja 04-30-2013 05:24 PM

Took every ones advice, I pulled the flywheels and removed the ring gears. I had to mill down the back side do to a lip but putting the motors back in now...
Thanks for the help guys