flywheel question."help" >

flywheel question."help"

Notices

flywheel question."help"

Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheel question."help"

Is the flywheel the same for a Bravo and a TRS application?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe27baja
The flywheel is the same, however the starter ring gear will be on the wrong side off the wheel. A machine shop can mill the flywheel and move the ring to the side if the flywheel you need it.

The flywheel that belongs to the engine should stay with the engine if possible. If you have an engine without a flywheel you need to figure out if the engine is internally or externally balanced before just throwing a wheel on it. A mistake here will be catastrophic.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe27baja
duct tape and a bud light
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
The flywheel is the same, however the starter ring gear will be on the wrong side off the wheel. A machine shop can mill the flywheel and move the ring to the side if the flywheel you need it.
I all depends on if it was used with a top mount starter or bottom mount. Some TRS's use bottom block mount starters which is what a Bravo would use.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus

The flywheel that belongs to the engine should stay with the engine if possible. If you have an engine without a flywheel you need to figure out if the engine is internally or externally balanced before just throwing a wheel on it. A mistake here will be catastrophic.
Bus I found a thread where you commented on the same thing im going through. I put my motors in and went to turn them over and the starters where hitting nothing but air(I should have done my homework before) anyways I have them ready to pull back out now. My motors are externaly balanced and I was told I could by a flywheel for a manual trans big block for the same year 454 and the fly wheel its self is balanced. Im trying to get this together for the weekend
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Also, one thing to note is you can't use a Gen V or Gen VI flywheel on a MK IV, I don't know which motor you have, but I ran into this when I was doing my motors. Something to do with the counter weight.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered

they are Gen 6
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you are running a 168 tooth flywheel, with a bottom mount staggered mount starter the ring gear on the flywheel must be on the block side, if rear mount starter ring gear on back it has to be a 168 tooth for rear mount. If you have a Bravo flywheel and are trying to use a mark IV flywheel, I think the counter weight difference is about 65-70 grams.
Did you replace the starter, what has changed from what was there before?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Registered

Went from a top mount TRS set up to Bravo and my starters is now located under the motors. I will pull them today after work
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Registered

Took every ones advice, I pulled the flywheels and removed the ring gears. I had to mill down the back side do to a lip but putting the motors back in now...
Thanks for the help guys