Oil Press and VM Gauge

Notices

Oil Press and VM Gauge

Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Oil Press and VM Gauge not working

Gauges show no indications, zero oil pres and zero volts.

Gauges have power when key is turned, verified with 12 v tester.

Fuel gauge works, water temp works, and tach works. All are daisy chained for ground and power.

Both gauges showed correct readings in morning run.

I also took a jumper wire from oil press sender wire (gauge side) and grounded out, no gauge response. Told it was supposed to peg out if gauge was working. Correct?

With battery on, purple wire on alternator is hot.

What other trouble shooting can I do on the water? Only have 12v tester and jumper wires, no actual multimeter to test with.

With no oil pressure should I hear anything peculiar with the motor? Should I run it or trailer it, pretty sure just the gauges.

Is there a way to check alternator while off or running?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Last edited by 97FASTech; 05-05-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Your in the right direction. If you verified the gauges are getting 12v, and a good ground (just as important), and grounding the sender wire does nothing, I'd say the gauge took a crap.

Without a actual multi meter, you wont be able to test alternator output. With your test light, you verified power I am guessing by grounding the test light clip, and probing the 12v feed. But, did you try hooking the alligator clip of the test light to the 12v hot feed, and probing the ground side of the gauge? If you have a good ground at the gauge, the test light will light. If not, no light.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'll try this today. Did not think to do that test, was getting frustrated. thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Most gauges work showing full, NO presure with a ground to the negative side of the gauge. Max ohms (n12 volts voltage pass) is MAX presure and FULL fuel gauge. You need a meter, with the engine running alternator should read 14.5 volts. If you have no oil pressure your going to hear a noisey engine, some kind of ringing going on. Recommend getting a mechanical oil gauge and connecting to oil sending unit/ With everything working properly prior my guess is you lost a electrical connection (ground).
Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Putting it on the trailer yesterday, the gauges were working. I have to find the gremlin. Electrical problems are a biotch to track down. Thanks for the replies.