Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fastest Single engine V >

Fastest Single engine V

Notices

Fastest Single engine V

Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
jspeeddemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Continental,United States
Posts: 371
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest Single engine V

I am interested in an updated version of the thread for fastest single engine V and what was the setup?
A friend is looking to purchase a single V, because of the roominess versus a cat, but would like to run 100 MPH.
In your opinion what is the best handling single engine v-bottom from 25-29, for going over 100 MPH with a reasonable power level?
This may get controversial but lets hear it anyway.
jspeeddemon is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 AM
  #2  
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha/LOTO
Posts: 18,748
Received 1,099 Likes on 535 Posts
Default

25-29' V bottoms are not designed to run 100mph....well at least not until the last few years when OL came out with their 29.
Griff is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM
  #3  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I'm new to the powerboats as of the last 3 years. I just finished my 98 280 velocity and it is pretty damn fast with a pretty mild motor. I have a 509 with 088 heads (mild port work and 2.250 intake valves), 741 cam, b&m 250 with a single carb. I only got 3 psi with the b&m 250. Estimated hp was in the 650-675 range (guessing based on what I've read similar setups have made). With 4 people in the boat we ran WOT for a very short period of time and the motor went to 5400 rpms very quickly with a 30p bravo and the GPS was in between 86-88. The boat was still accelerating very hard, but I got nervous and let out. It was very fast since I was used to a 62-63 mph Baja I had before. I'm buying a 420 mega blower with super chiller and going to run 7 psi. Should be in the 800 hp range and I'm sure if you had the nerve to hold it at WOT it would run 100 mph. I enjoy the fast cruise I get from the added hp and big props. Steve stepp the owner of velocity says with a real 700 hp the boat will run 95-100 mph. Again, its to fast for me at this point, but gives a great cruise.

I'm not saying its the fastest single out there, but its pretty fast! Has good build quality (I've been all over mine when rebuilding it), has a good size cabin and has a very deep cockpit which is something I like. I personally love the looks with the flat deck design and no windshield. Another thing about the velocity is its a ton of fun to drive. A lot of driver input so you won't get bored. As for rough water. Many say the velocity doesn't do all that well with the pad bottom, but I say other wise. Steve stepp told me to try running 55 mph and up and see how it handles. I did just that a couple weekends ago in an honest 3 footers with white caps and we ran 60-65 across the lake and it was awesome. If we slowed down to 35-45 it beat us to death. Over all I absolutely love the boat and very glad I went with the velocity.

I'll be interested to see others recommendations.




Last edited by cp5899; 05-21-2013 at 10:04 AM.
cp5899 is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cp5899 View Post
I'm new to the powerboats as of the last 3 years. I just finished my 98 280 velocity and it is pretty damn fast with a pretty mild motor. I have a 509 with 088 heads (mild port work and 2.250 intake valves), 741 cam, b&m 250 with a single carb. I only got 3 psi with the b&m 250. Estimated hp was in the 650-675 range (guessing based on what I've read similar setups have made). With 4 people in the boat we ran WOT for a very short period of time and the motor went to 5400 rpms very quickly with a 30p bravo and the GPS was in between 86-88. The boat was still accelerating very hard, but I got nervous and let out. It was very fast since I was used to a 62-63 mph Baja I had before. I'm buying a 420 mega blower with super chiller and going to run 7 psi. Should be in the 800 hp range and I'm sure if you had the nerve to hold it at WOT it would run 100 mph. I enjoy the fast cruise I get from the added hp and big props. Steve stepp the owner of velocity says with a real 700 hp the boat will run 95-100 mph. Again, its to fast for me at this point, but gives a great cruise.

I'm not saying its the fastest single out there, but its pretty fast! Has good build quality (I've been all over mine when rebuilding it), has a good size cabin and has a very deep cockpit which is something I like. I personally love the looks with the flat deck design and no windshield. Another thing about the velocity is its a ton of fun to drive. A lot of driver input so you won't get bored. As for rough water. Many say the velocity doesn't do all that well with the pad bottom, but I say other wise. Steve stepp told me to try running 55 mph and up and see how it handles. I did just that a couple weekends ago in an honest 3 footers with white caps and we ran 60-65 across the lake and it was awesome. If we slowed down to 35-45 it beat us to death. Over all I absolutely love the boat and very glad I went with the velocity.

I'll be interested to see others recommendations.





You should do a search for the "kook" thread. A very sad story that unfolded right here before everyone's eyes. He put big power in either a 26 or 28 and eventually put his buddy in a coma. It kinda grounded me at the time.
bouncedcheque is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
  #5  
Registered
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Taunton Ma
Posts: 8,273
Received 501 Likes on 242 Posts
Default

i think that fountain across the river is about to go under!
Unlimited jd is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM
  #6  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I noticed the fountain after someone else pointed it out...lol

I read the kook thread. I don't run all out ever. With or with out people in the boat. I own a company were I build and race drag bikes for over 12 years so I have a deep rooted respect of power and speed. I know it can bite at anytime. Boating to me is my relaxing time away from the bikes. With the bikes I have to live on the edge to be fast. Boats I chose not to, but I do like over the top wether I use it or not. I have had a 900 hp twin turbo lightning for almost 20 years (bought new in 94) and have only been to the track a hand full of times with it in the last 15 years. Do I need (or use to full potential) a 900 hp street truck, a 800hp boat or 7 second street bikes? No, not at all. But I like over the top I'm by no means saying I'm a great or the best or tons of experience boat driver. I only run or cruise at what the conditions allow. One weekend out of the two we have been out on the boat the weather was perfect and we still never went over 4800 rpms the whole day. I'm not so much interested in max all out speed with the boat. I enjoy cruising from hang out spot to hang out spot with friends. I hope I haven't given the impression that I run 95 every where we go. Most of the boats I run with cruise at 45-50. I like the fact I'm spinning 2700-2900 to run with them and when we get to the docks I love how the motor sounds with the blower, cam and dry exhaust. It's like a car show on water to me. Lol

I pray nothing ever happens to anyone on or around my boat.


Sorry for the side track of the thread. I made my first post as a reply to someone looking for a fast 25-29.
cp5899 is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM
  #7  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cheboygan, MI
Posts: 1,506
Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

I also have a Velocity 280 and I'm currently pushing 700hp and I've been just shy of 90 with 4 people and a full tank. The ride was actually quite nice, it seems to ride better with weight in the boat. When I run it alone with a light fuel load it starts getting a little squirrelly.
ThisIsLivin is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
  #8  
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha/LOTO
Posts: 18,748
Received 1,099 Likes on 535 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bouncedcheque View Post
You should do a search for the "kook" thread. A very sad story that unfolded right here before everyone's eyes. He put big power in either a 26 or 28 and eventually put his buddy in a coma. It kinda grounded me at the time.
25 Sunsation
Griff is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, British Columbia,Canada
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
I also have a Velocity 280 and I'm currently pushing 700hp and I've been just shy of 90 with 4 people and a full tank. The ride was actually quite nice, it seems to ride better with weight in the boat. When I run it alone with a light fuel load it starts getting a little squirrelly.
Geez!! My 25' OL must be dragging something. Best speed so far is [email protected] I am running a 28 bravo though. What gets me is the 700hp that i had. Just got engine freshened up,dynoed [email protected] without any belt driven accessories. Dont worry, I'm not trying to kill meself lol,just curious to know what its capable of. I have a Bravo 30 I might try out but dont want to blow up the drive. I agree that anything over 80 in a 25'boat is on a ragged edge and can be a handfull!!!
V.I. Outlaw is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  #10  
Registered
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington, MO
Posts: 1,440
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

cp5899, you got a nice Velocity there and I like your attitude.

jspeeddemon, the Howard 28 Bullet has to be right up there as one of the fastest. I have never ridden in one but was considering it an option when shopping. Ended up with my 292. Slow, but sure is comfortable.

28 Bullet
4mulafastech is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.